Modded QL?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
robheaton
Site Admin

Re: Modded QL?

Post by robheaton »

Hi Oliver,
Thanks for the info, when I use the rgb output I get the effect shown in the pictures, I have been unable to get a picture using RF.
I have tried two different tv's, and no joy.

(The cabIe I have works, as if I use my other QL, I can get a picture via RF)

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

robheaton wrote:Hi Oliver,
Thanks for the info, when I use the rgb output I get the effect shown in the pictures, I have been unable to get a picture using RF.
I have tried two different tv's, and no joy.

(The cabIe I have works, as if I use my other QL, I can get a picture via RF)
In that case, it is likely to be the ZX8301 or the MC1377P - I would try a different 8301 (or at least remove the internal expansion first!).

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

I think I'll have to purchase some spare parts, as I don't want to open my working QL for fear of breaking the membrane!

Best get over to http://www.sellmyreto.com!

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

Just a quick update..

I've replaced the MC1377 chip and this has corrected the video output! :mrgreen:

Another QL lives!

--
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

robheaton wrote:Just a quick update..

I've replaced the MC1377 chip and this has corrected the video output! :mrgreen:

Another QL lives!
Glad to hear that was all it was, although the MC1377 is in an awkward place - just enough room to get a screwdriver between the chip and the microdrive units to remove the chip.

On the negative side, I broke one of the pins on the expansion connector of my trusted QL last night - I have a couple of spare expansion connectors, but cannot face desoldering and re-soldering that many pins. I might just dip into the numerous QLs I have here and see if I can find a working motherboard..

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

The memory expansion was manufactured by SPEM in Italy, and was probably supplied by Sandy UK. It is a highly inferior part and we stopped selling them very quickly. Also, it reduced the speed of the QL measurably.

It can be removed but often it damaged the sockets it sat in, so it's important to check them and make sure the ICs make good connections when returned to their original sockets.

The expansion connector is easy to replace if you simply use some desolder braid. I have seen people use a hot air gun, but this part isn't really suited for that.

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

Hi Dave,
If you don't mind me asking, where did you used to work selling QL parts?

--
robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

RWAP wrote: On the negative side, I broke one of the pins on the expansion connector of my trusted QL last night - I have a couple of spare expansion connectors, but cannot face desoldering and re-soldering that many pins. I might just dip into the numerous QLs I have here and see if I can find a working motherboard..
How did you break a pin on the expansion connector?
(I would go with replacing the mainboard versus all that soldering!!)

--
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

robheaton wrote: How did you break a pin on the expansion connector?
(I would go with replacing the mainboard versus all that soldering!!)
It's all too easily done when testing several expansion interfaces and inserting them/removing them - some of them are a terrible fit in the QL, others have excess plastic on the expansion connectors, so all it takes is a little too much force and one pin bends (or breaks!)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

robheaton wrote:Hi Dave,
If you don't mind me asking, where did you used to work selling QL parts?
Sandy UK, when they were at the Manton Lane, Bedford location. 1984-87.