Unused ED Disks

Sell your QL items here!
RWAP
RWAP Master

Unused ED Disks

Post by RWAP »

For those lucky enough to have an ED disk drive, I see that Neil Beadle has found some unused IBM branded ED disks (still sealed).

He is offering them at £2.50 each plus postage from the Netherlands which isn't bad, considering how hard these are to find:

https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detai ... isks-30372

Artificer
Brittle Membrane

Re: Unused ED Disks

Post by Artificer »

Used to have 2 ancient ED Drives but one smelt of burning and leaked smoke while testing it in the Aurora I was building. Now while the remaining drive is installed in the Aurora case I don't use the ED disks I have as when the second one goes anything on an ED disk will be lost unless someone can source replacements - RWAP?

Cheers

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Artificer wrote:Used to have 2 ancient ED Drives but one smelt of burning and leaked smoke while testing it in the Aurora I was building. Now while the remaining drive is installed in the Aurora case I don't use the ED disks I have as when the second one goes anything on an ED disk will be lost unless someone can source replacements - RWAP?

Cheers
You can't find ED disk drives out in the wild any longer. However, I have a set of external cased ones (Miracle systems) and 4 x bare ED disk drives (white/cream fascia).

The bare ED disk drives are worth £75 each plus postage. It might just be the power cable or PSU which burnt rather than the drive itself on your machine however!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I don't suppose you know of any 5.25" 1.2mb floppy discs about? :)

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

You can rip ED drives from used IBM PS/2 models that had them pretty much to the end of their lifetime.

Such computers can be found on eBay or, if you're lucky, the dumpster (where I have my drives from)

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

vanpeebles wrote:I don't suppose you know of any 5.25" 1.2mb floppy discs about? :)
I have a bunch of unopened packs of Verbatim Datalife 5 1/4" DS/HD floppy disks, 10 packs, unopened. Also a couple of kodak packs. It seems the lowest going rate for them is $13, which is about £9?

Stateside, the ED drives from PS/2s seem to sell for around $60-70, or £45 or so.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Can I take two boxes of each? 1.2mb?