Microperipherals Floppy Interface R/W

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Microperipherals Floppy Interface R/W

Post by tofro »

Note the QL unzip needs expanded memory - the MP interface doesn't supply memory expansion.

A full tutorial on various ways how to transfer files to the QL can be found here, thanks to Dilwyn:

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/gen/pcqlxfer/index.html

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

DD and HD disk have different recording bias specifications, so one medium will not work well configured as the other.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Dave wrote:DD and HD disk have different recording bias specifications, so one medium will not work well configured as the other.
That is kind of a legend (partially). While it is somewhat more true for 5 1/4" inch media, where a HD drive uses about twice the magnetic strength to magnetize the media than a DD or even SD drive, the difference is by far not that high for 3 1/2" disks (660 vs 720 Oe). So, at least for 3 1/2" technology, the drives themselves are not that different.

DD and HD disks, however, differ in the thickness of the magnetic film (HD has less than half the thickness) - That is why HD drives can easily work with DD floppies, but DD drives will not properly, at least not reliably, read and write HD floppies.

Tobias

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

tofro wrote: That is kind of a legend (partially). [...], the drives themselves are not that different. [...] HD drives can easily work with DD floppies, but DD drives will not properly, at least not reliably, read and write HD floppies.
I agree. I've been using almost only taped HD disks as DD for several years. They are always well recognised by emulator also. Actually I had more problems with the original DD, but I think it's normal because the medium is older and more used.
Anyway, my experience is limited to HD drives (from PC) only, because I never had DD drives to test.

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Startax wrote: 1. I read that's not convenient to unzip the files on the pc side, and it would be better to put the zip in the floppy and let the QL unzip... can somebody suggest a tutorial for it?
A simple and fast way is to use Qemulator (even the trial version). You can directly attach .zip files to a virtual drive and they are automatically recognised as a normal (unzipped) disk, so you can WCOPY the files directly to a qdos floppy in your PC ;-)

Startax
ROM Dongle

Post by Startax »

Cristian wrote: A simple and fast way is to use Qemulator (even the trial version). You can directly attach .zip files to a virtual drive and they are automatically recognised as a normal (unzipped) disk, so you can WCOPY the files directly to a qdos floppy in your PC ;-)
That was the question but maybe i'm doing something wrong... by using the unregistered version of QemuLator:
1. if i start with Original QL limited features, i'm not able to attach any zip files to the virtual floppies
2. if i start with Demo Mode (expanded QL), i can attach but no run, nor copy to a floppy, just directory....
any suggestions?
thanks

Startax
ROM Dongle

Post by Startax »

By the way, I'm also trying with unzip on QPC2 but I can't extract... somebody so kind to explain me the right steps?
Thanks

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Startax wrote:By the way, I'm also trying with unzip on QPC2 but I can't extract... somebody so kind to explain me the right steps?
That's way easier if you explain what and how you tried and what went wrong (or what error messages you got).

Tobias

Startax
ROM Dongle

Post by Startax »

Ok,
so, if i use QPC2:
- i download quill235f.zip (quill 2.35 for floppy) and unzip541_bas from dilwyn website, and create a Quill directory which i attach to DOS8 virtual drive on QPC2
- i load dos8_unzip541_bas and run it. QPC2 tells: 'Original filename was ram1_unzip541 - Save as filename >' and i type: dos8_unzip
- it actually saves a 'unzip' file in my dos8_ dir
- i type: EX dos8_unzip;'-j dos8_quill235f.zip' (or either rename quill235f_zip) but it says: 'Invalid Parameter' everytime...

by using Quemulator (unregistered):
- if i chose: Start ("Original QL" limited features): i'm not allowed to mount any 'zip' files on the virtual drives
- by selecting: Demo Mode 'Expanded QL'), i can Mount the zip file, read the directory, but no copy nor load (it's forbidden because of the unregistered version)

Hope i was clear enough.... thanks for any help

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Startax wrote: by using Quemulator (unregistered):
- if i chose: Start ("Original QL" limited features): i'm not allowed to mount any 'zip' files on the virtual drives
- by selecting: Demo Mode 'Expanded QL'), i can Mount the zip file, read the directory, but no copy nor load (it's forbidden because of the unregistered version)
There must be something strange with your qemulator copy. The unregistered version allows the "Original QL" option only. Which version are you running exactly?