Installing SMSQ/E

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Martin_Head
Aurora

Installing SMSQ/E

Post by Martin_Head »

I am looking to install SMSQ/E onto Qemulator (the unregistered version) to do some Network tests. I have downloaded the smsqe332_binaries.zip file. But I don't see a text file telling me how to actually install/start SMSQ/E.

Do I LRESPR a file? If so which one? Bear in mind this is the unregistered Qemulator, so no Gold Card mode.

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Re: Installing SMSQ/E

Post by janbredenbeek »

Martin_Head wrote:I am looking to install SMSQ/E onto Qemulator (the unregistered version) to do some Network tests. I have downloaded the smsqe332_binaries.zip file. But I don't see a text file telling me how to actually install/start SMSQ/E.

Do I LRESPR a file? If so which one? Bear in mind this is the unregistered Qemulator, so no Gold Card mode.
On a QL with Gold Card I can just LRESPR the appropriate smsq_bin file and then it automatically boots.
I'm not sure about unregistered Qemulator. SMSQ needs to have write access to the lower memory area where normally ROM is (at least during boot), which Qemulator probably does not allow in the unregistered version. But you can always try...

regards, Jan.

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

janbredenbeek wrote:
Martin_Head wrote:I am looking to install SMSQ/E onto Qemulator (the unregistered version) to do some Network tests. I have downloaded the smsqe332_binaries.zip file. But I don't see a text file telling me how to actually install/start SMSQ/E.

On a QL with Gold Card I can just LRESPR the appropriate smsq_bin file and then it automatically boots.
I'm not sure about unregistered Qemulator. SMSQ needs to have write access to the lower memory area where normally ROM is (at least during boot), which Qemulator probably does not allow in the unregistered version. Also, unregistered Qemulator doesn't allow more than 384KB of RAM which is probably insufficient for SMSQ. But you can always try...

regards, Jan.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

I am pretty sure the unregistered Q-Emulator will not be able to run SMSQ/E - Simply not enough memory.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

I had a quick try yesterday. There is barely enough memory to load it into. And when you CALL it, Qemulator throws up an error message.

So if SMSQ/E needs to write to the ROM area. Does that mean that you cannot run SMSQ/E on a standard QL. Only on Gold cards?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Martin_Head wrote:I had a quick try yesterday. There is barely enough memory to load it into. And when you CALL it, Qemulator throws up an error message.

So if SMSQ/E needs to write to the ROM area. Does that mean that you cannot run SMSQ/E on a standard QL. Only on Gold cards?
HI Martin,

There is a version of SMSQ/E for Q-emulator at:

http://www.terdina.net/ql/software.html

Works fine on my registered copy of Q-emulator.

To get SMSQ/E working on a standard QL with memory expansion currently needs a Gold or Super Gold Card. Anything other than this would require alteration of the source code to use the QL memory map. This has been something I was going to do, maybe I have a look in the New Year.

Regards,

Derek
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Derek_Stewart wrote:HI Martin,

There is a version of SMSQ/E for Q-emulator at:
Tried this, Qemulator just hangs.

So I have just dug a couple of QL's out of mothballs, (I was going to have to it eventually anyway) Networked them together, Stuck a Gold Card in one. Then I can LRESPR the Gold Card SMSQ/E file.