Sinclair Retro BBS online!

A collection of QL services and websites.
User avatar
Outsoft
Super Gold Card
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:30 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Sinclair Retro BBS online!

Postby Outsoft » Fri May 26, 2017 9:58 am

Dave wrote:What are the characters you're getting? They might give us a clue if it is a bit error or something else.

My first instinct is to suspect IC25, the 1488, receiving noise from the 8302. That's where I'd start looking. I have a logic analyzer and that's the first place I'd look. Either the 1488 is noisy for some reason, or it is cleanly converting an input from the 8302.


I will send a photo.

The characters are not letters but all simbols that it doesn't exist on the QL character set.

Thanks for check.


User avatar
Outsoft
Super Gold Card
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:30 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Sinclair Retro BBS online!

Postby Outsoft » Fri May 26, 2017 10:06 am

Dave wrote:What are the characters you're getting? They might give us a clue if it is a bit error or something else.

My first instinct is to suspect IC25, the 1488, receiving noise from the 8302. That's where I'd start looking. I have a logic analyzer and that's the first place I'd look. Either the 1488 is noisy for some reason, or it is cleanly converting an input from the 8302.


There is something that I can do externally? An "anti noise" that I can put near the zone (without open the QL) and see If this will make the disturb be many frequent?

I see that when the QL is "hot" (I mean powered on for 30 minutes) the Serial ISTANTLY sent these bad characters, instead when is COLD...It need 20/30 mintes to start.

So all depends on it ;)


User avatar
Outsoft
Super Gold Card
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:30 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Sinclair Retro BBS online!

Postby Outsoft » Fri May 26, 2017 10:12 am

Dave wrote:What are the characters you're getting? They might give us a clue if it is a bit error or something else.

My first instinct is to suspect IC25, the 1488, receiving noise from the 8302. That's where I'd start looking. I have a logic analyzer and that's the first place I'd look. Either the 1488 is noisy for some reason, or it is cleanly converting an input from the 8302.


A friend got a similar problem (a block on 1 Network port on his QL) and It solved changing the ULA.

Can be a similar problem too?


User avatar
Outsoft
Super Gold Card
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:30 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Sinclair Retro BBS online!

Postby Outsoft » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:06 am

janbredenbeek wrote:A new QLTerm version 2.35 is now available at https://files.bredenbeek.net/s/hbqfO4RAV38nvRI
This fixes the '4 colour' problem by auto-detecting the platform it runs on. On QPC in 256 or high colour mode it automatically switches to 8 colour mode.

I'm working on native Telnet support including file down- and upload but this will take some more time as the serial I/O routines have to be reworked since Telnet is not an 8-bit transparent protocol (it uses CHR$(255) as control character so this has to be escaped).

I'm also trying to figure out how to make use of more than 8 colours on QPC2. I know there are SBASIC commands COLOUR_PAL and COLOUR_24 to change the palette but I'm looking for documentation to do this from machine code.
Any ideas?

later, Jan.


Jan: can you gently remember me how to use "cursors keys" in your QLTERM when is connected on my Sinclair "Mystic" BBS? I can't remember the right combination for use it.

I got the same problem with QTPI.

Please gently let me know.

Best regards.


User avatar
tofro
QL Wafer Drive
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:53 pm
Location: SW Germany

Re: Sinclair Retro BBS online!

Postby tofro » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:25 am

janbredenbeek wrote:I'm also trying to figure out how to make use of more than 8 colours on QPC2. I know there are SBASIC commands COLOUR_PAL and COLOUR_24 to change the palette but I'm looking for documentation to do this from machine code.
Any ideas?
.


Just realized this apparently was never answered.

I am pretty sure there is no machine code equivalent to, e.g. COLOUR_PAL and COLOUR_24, as this only affects the interpretation of colour values by S*Basic and doesn't do anything to the system itself. In machine code, you need to know what color definition you use and use the appropriate INK, PAPER, STRIP,... calls out of three possible sets (Palette, native, true color) to apply it.

In S*BASIC, you thus set a sort of switch that tells BASIC how to interpret your color values when set as INK, PAPER, STRIP or drawn into BLOCKS.
In machine code, this switch doesn't exist - each of the three ways of interpreting color values has their own INK, PAPER, STRIP, BLOCK calls.

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/smsqegd2/smsqe/GD2user.pdf

lists the calls on how to access GD2 colors and INK, PAPER, STRIP calls for the three different color definition spaces.

Tobias


User avatar
janbredenbeek
Trump Card
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:54 pm
Location: Hilversum, The Netherlands

Re: Sinclair Retro BBS online!

Postby janbredenbeek » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:08 am

Outsoft wrote:Jan: can you gently remember me how to use "cursors keys" in your QLTERM when is connected on my Sinclair "Mystic" BBS? I can't remember the right combination for use it.

I got the same problem with QTPI.

Hi Simon,

As I recall you should use CTRL-H for 'Backspace' if Ctrl-Left doesn't work?

Yes, I haven't done much on it since the last release but I've been experimenting a lot with BBS software lately so there might be something coming up in a few weeks. I do have original hardware (two modems and a mini-PABX) to experiment but want to do modem emulation over TCP/IP. Under DOS this is possible with DOSbox (freeware) or NetSerial (payware) but it would be a nice challenge to write a serial driver that emulates Telnet in SMSQ. This might also get QTPI working as it seems to support piped connections (like QLTerm) but then locks up :cry: .

Regards, Jan.


User avatar
Outsoft
Super Gold Card
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:30 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Sinclair Retro BBS online!

Postby Outsoft » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:14 am

janbredenbeek wrote:
Outsoft wrote:Jan: can you gently remember me how to use "cursors keys" in your QLTERM when is connected on my Sinclair "Mystic" BBS? I can't remember the right combination for use it.

I got the same problem with QTPI.

Hi Simon,

As I recall you should use CTRL-H for 'Backspace' if Ctrl-Left doesn't work?

Yes, I haven't done much on it since the last release but I've been experimenting a lot with BBS software lately so there might be something coming up in a few weeks. I do have original hardware (two modems and a mini-PABX) to experiment but want to do modem emulation over TCP/IP. Under DOS this is possible with DOSbox (freeware) or NetSerial (payware) but it would be a nice challenge to write a serial driver that emulates Telnet in SMSQ. This might also get QTPI working as it seems to support piped connections (like QLTerm) but then locks up :cry: .

Regards, Jan.


Not for delete but for use cursors keys and make left / right / up / down functions in the BBS :-)

I use TCP/SER on Linux and Windows too.

Thanks.



Return to “Links to QL Services and Websites”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest