Q-emuLator registration

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
blilith
ROM Dongle

Q-emuLator registration

Post by blilith »

Hi all,

I am new to this forum so forgive me if this question has been answered (I did a search but did not find an answer) :)
I am trying to register Q-em but all sites for payment are not available, I read this was to be updated but that post was old. Does anybody know if registration is possible? If not what is the best emulator to use, I run Windows 10 and Ubuntu on separate systems.

I have an original QL, one of the very first but an emu is always useful for testing and takes less space.

Thanks

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Q-emuLator registration

Post by vanpeebles »

Welcome to the forum :)

simon629
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by simon629 »

You now have to do it my email the man who runs the Q-emulator website is still going Thanks smon629 Simon Foster

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi blilith and welcome!

There are a number of emulators available today for the QL with the key differentiators being commercial vs.no-cost and, most significantly, how closely they emulate an original QL OS vs. the later SMSQ/E OS.

You have probably already found them referenced/available on the Sinclair QL Homepage, hosted by Dilwyn: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/

My own (personal) assessment, having played with a few of the emulators would be:

Q-Emulator - still commercial - very capable and quite fast - high compatibility with original QL OS and, with extension, a version of SMSQ/E - has an SD-Card image driver available and some neat software deployment options - available for Windows and MacOS
QPC2 - made free-ware after originally being commercial - probably the most capable and fastest SMSQ/E emulator available today, but quite far-removed from the original QL - available for Windows only (but known to work fairly well under WINE on *Nix) - my emulator of choice - just to be transparent!
SMSQEmulator - free-ware - capable but less swift emulation of SMSQ/E specifically - very convenient JAVA implementation which opens-up the platform options
uQLX - free-ware - using a similar emulation engine as QEmulator, a bit sticky to get running first-time but very capable emulation of original QL OSes with some Unix like extensions - available for *Nix (now including ARM processors, which is pretty unique)
QLAY/W/2/2k - free-ware/postcard-ware - moderate capabilities based around the original QL OSes only - very lightweight and runs on DOS/Windows (/W) and *Nix - QLAY was my first foray in to QL emulation as an adult after my first affair with the original QL as a teenager!

They are all a work-of-art in their own right and, at one time or another, I have needed to turn to one or the other emulator to achieve what I wanted to do in the easiest way.

I particularly used Q-Emaulator, for instance, to help with moving files on-off my QL formatted SD-Card to transfer files between my QXL emulated filesystem and a real QL with SD-Card reader. My software development was typically carried out on QPC2, but then tested a bit in QEmulator to get a better idea how it would function on the target QL.

You'll hear a number of absolutely valid, yet quite diverse opinions on the Forum - the above is only one such opinion - but might help you decide on your emulation approach.

Good luck!

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Add MAME, a really good emulation of a BBQL with Trump card, open source too so you can fix it.

blilith
ROM Dongle

Post by blilith »

Wow! Thanks everybody. So many replies and so quick. I have sent an email to register q-Em and have had a look at QPC II.

Thanks again.

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

blilith wrote:Hi all,

I am new to this forum so forgive me if this question has been answered (I did a search but did not find an answer) :)
I am trying to register Q-em but all sites for payment are not available, I read this was to be updated but that post was old. Does anybody know if registration is possible? If not what is the best emulator to use, I run Windows 10 and Ubuntu on separate systems.

I have an original QL, one of the very first but an emu is always useful for testing and takes less space.

Thanks
Write a Mail to Daniele Terdina, it collaborate with our QL preservation program and is making a new release ;)

terdina@comcast.net