QL Commercial Software Preservation

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: QL Commercial Software Preservation

Post by RWAP »

Possibly - but send it again :)

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

Should be in the bulk, I've sent to you at 2015-07-21-19-13, Desktops_zip

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Ah right - that is where the latest version came from :)

MIST
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by MIST »

Maybe i am mistaken. But to me it sounds like this page:
http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk/updates.html
offers cracked versions of commercial software (this seems to be what the page calls an "update").

How does that work? Is this a commercial service that offers help when circumventing copy protections?

And how and why does one have to privide the proof that one already owns another version of that software?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

You are mistaken :) If you own the original, you can buy an update to the latest version. They would still check for the original microdrive cartridge.

MIST
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by MIST »

I don't get it. What kind of update is this? Can you give an example?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

A different version of the same program. QL software was often updated with features and bug fixes.

MIST
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by MIST »

Is this a joke? Just because i own a Windows XP CD doesn't mean that you are allowed to sell me copies of Windows 10.

Edit: Also the page does not list any version numbers. Wouldn't these be listed there if it was about obtaining this kind of updates?

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

I think you are getting carried away...
rwapsoftware wrote:However, in many cases, there is no way of contacting the original author / copyright holder and therefore we will offer to update existing software which QL users already own to work from disk or emulator without the need for a microdrive cartridge. We can also supply a working copy on microdrive if required, which will not require the original master.
So the way I read it, it is allowing people who have bought software in the past to use it again, on either disk on a QL, a working microdrive on a QL, or use on an emulator.
The copy supplied may include some minor bug fixes, but there is no comparison to Microsoft Windows (where each "new" version that gets sold is different from the free updates service that Microsoft offers for minor bug fixes etc.).

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
MIST
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by MIST »

1024MAK wrote: but there is no comparison to Microsoft Windows (where each "new" version that gets sold is different from the free updates service that Microsoft offers for minor bug fixes etc.).
Microsoft sells new versions of it software just like anyone else did back in the days. If you wanted the new version you had to pay for it. Always. There were no free bug fixes and updates.

Anyway, of course you can do whatever you want here. The original copyright holders have probably lost interest in all this. I was just courious ...