Humour

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Re: Humour

Post by 1024MAK »

FOR loops I normally use a, b or c as a counter if a small program. In large complex programs, I use c0, c1, c2 etc instead.

I'm using Firefox on Ubuntu and the f looks like an f to me. So I did wonder how much falling down liquid everyone had been drinking :P
f ≠ £
F ≠ £

Code: Select all

f ≠ £
F ≠ £
Or do I need to order a few more rounds?

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Ralf R. wrote:I see. I was bit upset, because (for unknown reasons) nearly everybody uses "i".

:mrgreen:
He he, this used to be quite a big issue with magazine listings, because the rules of FOR loops varied so much. Lower case I may or may not be equivalent to upper case I while I can be mixed up with letter l with some typefaces. Many a happy (or usually not) hour spent in my youth trying to decipher these things from magazine listings, many not even from a QL. :ugeek:

Whether you use i, a, b or c it's usually better to use longer variable names on a QL. But that's a bit off topic here in the Off-Topic Section :?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

1024MAK wrote:Or do I need to order a few more rounds?
OK yes, I'll join you (if you're paying) :D

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

dilwyn wrote:
1024MAK wrote:Or do I need to order a few more rounds?
OK yes, I'll join you (if you're paying) :D
Okay, as long as the pub accepts f10 notes :lol:

Mark

“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

The courier font in a "select" window (here) let the "f" look a bit similar to a Pound.

:ugeek:
1024MAK wrote:FOR loops I normally use a, b or c as a counter if a small program. In large complex programs, I use c0, c1, c2 etc instead.

I'm using Firefox on Ubuntu and the f looks like an f to me. So I did wonder how much falling down liquid everyone had been drinking :P
f ≠ £
F ≠ £

f ≠ £
F ≠ £

Mark

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

1024MAK wrote: Okay, as long as the pub accepts f10 notes :lol:

Mark
OK, I'll see what pressing F10 does now... :?

Dilwyn

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Ralf R. wrote:The courier font in a "select" window (here) let the "f" look a bit similar to a Pound.

:ugeek:
1024MAK wrote:FOR loops I normally use a, b or c as a counter if a small program. In large complex programs, I use c0, c1, c2 etc instead.

f ≠ £
F ≠ £

f ≠ £
F ≠ £

Mark
Oh, I do realise that the effect does depend on which font is being used, which partly depends on which browser/OS is being used.

Mark

“There are four lights!”

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

I didnt know about any "rules"

I have always used f in a for next loop as a ZX Spectrum user (and possible a ZX 81), you quickly learned that in Sinclair BASIC pressing the F key twice in succession creates

10 FOR f

Such was Sinclair's keyboard tokens, and stuck with me all my life

A loop within a loop for me was the most obvious (before anyone asks) USE the next letter

10 FOR f = 1 TO 10
20 FOR g = 1 TO 5
30 PRINT "W H SMITHS",
40 NEXT g
50 NEXT f
oops add a rnd colour and you may have seen the screens in W H Smiths during the early 80s
in Ilford, Essex.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

"Ilford" only reminds me of the wonderful "Pan F".

:mrgreen: