The Poliziotteschi Italian Crime/Police Film Thread

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

The Poliziotteschi Italian Crime/Police Film Thread

Post by vanpeebles »

Over the last two or three months I've been watching a lot of Italian police films(Poliziotteschi genre) from the 70's(and either side of that decade).

Some of them are little like a Dirty Harry or Charles Bronson film in execution but are unique in their own right. Often featuring a great sound track from the likes of Morricone plus the odd Hollywood star and loads of classic car action especially Alfa Romeos and Minis (both big favourites of mine)

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: The Poliziotteschi Italian Crime/Police Film Thread

Post by vanpeebles »

Il cittadino si ribella aka Street Law. Franco Nero seeks revenge on a band of robbers after being held hostage(and brutally beaten) during a bank robbery.

This film is often compared to Death Wish but the pacing and story plays out entirely different. Nero plays an ordinary man with no military training or skills(unlike Paul Kersey) at first he struggles to even track down the robbers with the criminal underworld proving an entirely alien scene to him. I won't spoil the rest but it's also entertaining that he drives an Austin Allegro throughout the entire film, complete with square steering wheel.

A superb film with a great soundtrack from Guido and Maurizio De Angelis. Oh and Barbara Bach wears a massive pair of old skool bins.

And finally Franco Nero did all his own stunts including a running battle with a car and rolling down a big hill.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: The Poliziotteschi Italian Crime/Police Film Thread

Post by vanpeebles »

I finally managed to track down a dubbed version of Violent Naples (Napoli Violenta). A superb loose cannon cop story with Maurizio Merli playing hardboiled Commissioner Betti. Betti ends up on the tail of some muggers plus a gang of bank robbers and a battling pair of mobsters.

It also has a fantastic sound track and a quality intro with the mob boss being driven in his Rolls Royce through busy traffic.

Plus a fantastic Alfa battle versus a Ducati bike, where the main robber tries to make it back to the station before 1 pm to sign his parole as an albi.