Hello from Puerto Varas, Chile, Patagonia

Introduce yourself here!
jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Hello from Puerto Varas, Chile, Patagonia

Post by jivrt »

Code: Select all

Hello fellow QL users.
I think I may be until now the only QLer from Patagonia. I've been the owner of a QL since 1984 when visiting my grandmother in Malaga, Spain my father bought me a QL. My previous experience was a Timex Sinclair 1000 (the zx81 that arrived to south america in the 80) with the 16 k dongle and a zx thermal printer. My father was impressed with the programming I could do in basic and thought that with the QL it would be better. I was wishing for a ZX Spectrum because of the games. 
I finished then with a QL 128 k JM rom, a phillips monochrome monitor, (since we use NTSC here), a cumana disk interface and cumana drive and toolkit 1 software. Then isolated from the world never learned about the expansion cards, trump or gold or tk2 so I stayed with my original configuration. 
Well its been almost 30 years and the QL is working perfectly even though all my microdrive cartridges are unreadable. Which is sad because I had made a PACMAN game based on a port from a basic listing for Spectrum that worked pretty well. Now, maybe because of the nostalgia when you turn 40, I'm seeking to revive the ql with software and stumble into this excellent forum. (By the way I thank the administrator to turn the register button on, but I noticed its off again.) From here I learned already how to connect a pc floppy drive to my cumana interface by swapping cables 10 and 12 and how to connect the ql to a LCD tv (albeit in black and white, have to work for the colour).
Finally I've been trying to learn how to unzip files and to tranfer them to a floppy and my ql to no avail, since I'm using the unregistered qemulator and the smsQ. Even though Dilwyn has been very helpful and patient I cant get it to work. But that is the fun in this hobby and there is no rush....

Juan Ignacio
QL 128k JM tk1 cumana floppy imterface

Original BBQL 1985, bought my me in Spain with JM ROM
Tetroid TDI with CF card, ROM switcher, power regulator, Gold Card clone and Backplane
Uses: teaching my children to program
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Hello from Puerto Varas, Chile, Patagonia

Post by dilwyn »

Welcome to the Forum, Juan, and thank you for your kind words.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, we try to be as helpful as we can here.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

jivrt wrote:

(By the way I thank the administrator to turn the register button on, but I noticed its off again.) [/quote]

No problem and glad you made it on :) We did an update recently and it's reset all the spam filters we have had to take registrations down temporary to sort it out.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

jivrt wrote:

Hello fellow QL users.
I think I may be until now the only QLer from Patagonia. [/quote]

Welcome to the QL Forums - we are all willing and eager to help.

I do have one QL customer in Argentina, but none in Chili (as both seem to share Patagonia).  I also have other QL contacts in South America (Brazil mainly) If you want me to pass your details send me a PM with a message you would like circulated to them.

Rich

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Greetings. :)

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by jivrt »

I do have one QL customer in Argentina, but none in Chili (as both seem to share Patagonia). I also have other QL contacts in South America (Brazil mainly) If you want me to pass your details send me a PM with a message you would like circulated to them.
Thanks Rich

It remains to be confirmed if your customer is from Buenos Aires Argentina or some region other than Patagonia. I may still be the ONLY QL user in Patagonia (argentinean or chilean)
I may sometime order copies of my software to you (I own West, Zkull, Chess, Psion suite, Graphiql). I need to get unzip to work on my 128k ql but nothing has proven succesful...

Original BBQL 1985, bought my me in Spain with JM ROM
Tetroid TDI with CF card, ROM switcher, power regulator, Gold Card clone and Backplane
Uses: teaching my children to program
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

jivrt wrote:
I do have one QL customer in Argentina, but none in Chili (as both seem to share Patagonia). I also have other QL contacts in South America (Brazil mainly) If you want me to pass your details send me a PM with a message you would like circulated to them.
Thanks Rich

It remains to be confirmed if your customer is from Buenos Aires Argentina or some region other than Patagonia. I may still be the ONLY QL user in Patagonia (argentinean or chilean)
I may sometime order copies of my software to you (I own West, Zkull, Chess, Psion suite, Graphiql). I need to get unzip to work on my 128k ql but nothing has proven succesful...
I have checked this - Unzip definitely cannot run in 128kilobytes memory (in fact a 128K QL allocates 32K of that 128K to video). Not even the Zip2Bas type programs.

Possibly the easiest memory upgrade if you can't get a memory card which has a through connector for your disc interface (most of the 512kilobyte RAM cards do have an extra connector into which a disc interface can be plugged) is a 512K RAM inside the QL, although this is a bit fiddly to install and no faster than the original 128K memory. Better to buy an expansion RAM card if you can get one from eBay, SellMyRetro or from Rich "RWAP" Mellor.

Adding memory increases the amount of memory available to "buffer" files, making microdrive access faster, for example.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

jivrt wrote:
Thanks Rich

He is indeed from Buenos Aires :)