Another QL user from Italy!

Introduce yourself here!
flyer.gio
ROM Dongle

Another QL user from Italy!

Post by flyer.gio »

Hello to everybody!

My name is Gianni (Italy) and I am a QL user since 1984.
I learnt to program on the QL, my first personal computer, assembler, pascal (and SuperBasic of course).

I like electronic also and here are some mods performed on my QL :

My self designed Eprom Programmer (note the "GC" logo on the PCB) :mrgreen:

Qinteram 512K memory expansion + Toolkit II EPROM and Upgraded ROMs to JS version (both programmed with my "GC/QL Eprom Programmer"

Switches to select 128/640 Kb RAM and internal ToolkitII / external ROM expansion port

and my MicroP floppy disk interface with a "self-upgraded" V.5.3 Eprom

A PC/AT keyboard interface based on a DI-REN keyboard interface with self designed PCB .
(The original PCB won't fit well on my QL motherboard)

I have designed and built also a QL Meteosat receiver and here is a pic of Italy taken in 1986.
Of course the quality is very low and the interface was only a prototype.
Unfortunately I have dismounted the interface to reuse the components for another circuit (I was young and "money less" :( )

My QL Printer

My first modem connected to the serial port

Now I am working on a Mouse interface in order to use a standard PS2/USB optical mouse
(note the very old Philips green phosphor monitor)

And finally a little present for the community :

My first videogame developed on my QL : The QL BlockWall

Please consider this software as freeware, it can be downloaded copied and distributed "as is", without any modifications and for non-commercial purposes only.

Click here to download QL Blockwall

enjoy!
Ciao, Gianni
Last edited by flyer.gio on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:31 am, edited 6 times in total.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Another QL user from Italy!

Post by vanpeebles »

Hello and welcome! :) Some super pics there, I'll have to try that game out.

belg4rion67
Trump Card

Post by belg4rion67 »

Hi dear,
I'm very happy to see another italian guy like me on this forum:
my name is Paolo from Piacenza (even if I was born in Tivoli) and I've a mod QL with Minerva OS+TK2 self programmed with my Eprom Programmer (is a commercial programmer as I haven't time to build it :D, floppy interface with 512k ram expansion and two modern floppy drives with a floppy cable selfmade.
I hope to see more posts from you on this site.
Bye
Ciao e a presto :)

Only original hardware! :)
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Yes welcome to the forum - it is great to see some of the hardware projects you have built.

:D

If anyone feels a little cut off from the QL community and is looking for other users in their country, let me know - I am happy to circulate an email with your contact details to other users in your country (as I hold the largest QL email list).

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

flyer.gio wrote:Hello to everybody!

My name is Gianni (Italy) and I am a QL user since 1984.
I learnt to program on the QL, my first personal computer, assembler, pascal (and SuperBasic of course).

Ciao, Gianni
Welcome along Gianni. Great to see the pictures of those hardware add-ons.

Don't forget that as well as QL Forum, there's also the QL Today magazine (see http://www.qltoday.com), Quanta (QL user group at http://www.quanta.org.uk) and the QL Users Email Mailing List http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/gen/emaillst/maillist.html, as well as just about everything QL-related on my website at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk

Dilwyn

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Ciao Gianni,

Welcome to the forums - it's great to see so many people popping up, both long time users like Gianni and newcomers to the QL. Makes you wonder how many QLers are out there right now, unaware that there is an active support community right here.

Those hardware projects are very impressive by the way :) :ugeek:

Jean-Yves

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Sparrowhawk wrote:Ciao Gianni,

Welcome to the forums - it's great to see so many people popping up, both long time users like Gianni and newcomers to the QL. Makes you wonder how many QLers are out there right now, unaware that there is an active support community right here.

Those hardware projects are very impressive by the way :) :ugeek:

Jean-Yves
Indeed and wouldn't it be great to be able to reach out to them and bring them "back into the fold", as it were.
This is something Rich and I are very keen to do, to try to bring in these QL users who probably exist in isolation in terms of the QL community, "unaware..." as you say.
If anyone has ideas on how to reach out to these users, we would be very grateful for ideas.
When it first started I never expected QL Forum to reach out to as many as it did (well done Rob and Pete) and my website attracts a few here and there. Although the QL Today and Quanta and ql-users lists probably number in the low hundreds at most, the slow trickle of new people finding the QL for first time or returning after long absences must mean that in relaity there must be twice this number out there somewhere QLing in isolation, but how do we reach them?

Dilwyn

ergonql
ROM Dongle

Post by ergonql »

Ciao Gianni,

Congratulation for your work, I would also like to remind that most of the Italian QL community joins this Yahoo mailing list:

https://it.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ ... italy/info

To subscribe just send an email to:

sinclair-italy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Best regards

Davide (ergon at libero dot it)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have been reading the Italy and German Forums, using the Chrome browser, which automatically translates the web pages into English.

I suppose I should learn to speak other languages and with an added QL interest, makes the task a little more interesting.

Regards,

Derek
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Finally got around to playing this game, cool

A faithful reproduction
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png (7.38 KiB) Viewed 5944 times
2.png
2.png (8.59 KiB) Viewed 5944 times

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/