Happy New Year from an old timer

Introduce yourself here!
David McCann
ROM Dongle

Happy New Year from an old timer

Post by David McCann »

I found this board when looking for some information about QemuLator. The task was not made any easier by the fact that there's also a program called Qemulator, but DuckDuckGo came up trumps.

I got a QL back in 1985 and it survived endless upgrades until I replaced it with a Q60 to get internet access. Alas, the Q60 and I did not get on, so I built a PC and installed QemuLator.

Back in the 80s, I wrote an astrology program in SuperBasic. It has features that no commercial equivalent has, and there's no way I'm going to convert over 5000 lines of SuperBasic to another language!* I also still use a home budget spreadsheet in Abacus that I'm too lazy to convert. I'm not really a games player, although I do like the occasional go at QL Dominoes or AJSCR.

* try putting this into FreeBasic:
IF ((CODE(opt2$)||32)-96)*2 <> mund_sys$(1 TO 2) INSTR " AlCaKoMoPlPoReZa" THEN

PS "ROM dongle"? How undignified; but I was once a "Baby hen" at the Sabayon forum.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Happy New Year from an old timer

Post by vanpeebles »

Hello and welcome old timer! ROM Dongle is probably a little too cheeky but plenty of fun :) It had Dilwyn wondering too :lol:

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Hello and welcome - it is good that we have seen a number of people either returning to the QL or trying it out for the first time in 2011 - long may it continue.

Your astrology program sounds interesting - is this available for public domain libraries at all (if not, maybe you could send me a copy and I will get it onto the PC so that it can be added to the Sinclair QL Homepage for download)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

vanpeebles wrote:Hello and welcome old timer! ROM Dongle is probably a little too cheeky but plenty of fun :) It had Dilwyn wondering too :lol:
Sure did! Apparently I'm now a "chuggy microdrive" - not sure if that counts as an improvement or not :|
Mr Navigator seems to have been promoted to QL Fanatic IIRC which is a little bit better :shock:
Who thought up these ratings and how were they chosen, I wonder?

Dilwyn

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

dilwyn wrote: Mr Navigator seems to have been promoted to QL Fanatic IIRC which is a little bit better :shock:
Who thought up these ratings and how were they chosen, I wonder?

Dilwyn
*coughs then shuffles towards exit*