Hi from another QL newbie in Yorkshire

Introduce yourself here!
twellys
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Hi from another QL newbie in Yorkshire

Post by twellys »

Hi folks,

I'm Tim Wells. Although I was a ZX Spectrum fan, then went on to the SAM Coupe (Souped up Speccy), I came across a QL in Oxfam in Cambridge around 1996/97. There were lots of micrrodrives but no instructions. There was a Trump Card with two diskdrives (no disks though - Also card inserts in the diskdrives - unused Trump / diskdrives?) and a CST 512K Ram upgrade. I bought the QL but stored it in the attic.

Anyway, I had a major accident in December 1999, so everything stopped. However I have regrouped and now a Electronics Engineer with specialty in FPGA / ASIC design. Other strengths are Linux, Perl, and embedded C. I'd had a tinkers passion

Recently I dug my QL from the 'antiques' (cough-cough!) in the attic. The 'M' key had broken off (really I need another QL top) , the QL was dusty, and in a bad way. I've cleaned it up though and found a Spectrum TV lead to test the QL (Want a Monitor cable though really).

In the future? Wish for Minerva mkII and SuperHermes because of I2C possibilties. Also wish for a Super Gold Card so I can replace the obsolete Altera EPLD with some new Altera/Xilinx/fancy-gubbins. Oh, and work on my designs as well.

Cheers,

Tim

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Hi from another QL newbie in Yorkshire

Post by vanpeebles »

Hello there and welcome! :)

I think RWAP Software might have a monitor lead and a case top for sale

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forums.

I have a monitor lead (last one!) and two spare QL cases, so I could let you have the case top.
(actually I have a few spare case bottoms if anyone needs one!)

I have all sorts of parts including spare key tops and key pillars, chips, microdrives, DD diskettes etc =- just send me a PM with what you need

thorsinclair
Trump Card

Post by thorsinclair »

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the Forum - good to see the number of members growing! ;)

FPGA desig rings a bell ... many retro hardware projects are done on FPGA nowadays ..

Best,
Thor