Another QL newbe...

Introduce yourself here!
nichtsnutz
ROM Dongle

Another QL newbe...

Post by nichtsnutz »

Hello all,

my name is Vassilis and I am from Germany.I got my QL together with some microdrives one year ago from ebay and I am beginning now to explore this nice computer.In my youth I had an Atari STF and a Z80 based homecomputer.I am also interested in the hardware of the QL.I think my QL has some problems with the television screen,so I have ordered some spare parts (the ZX8301 and ZX8302 ULAs) from RWAP (rwapsoftware.co.uk) to try to fix it.(The last lines have some kind of jitter.I have not used RGB until now.)Also some microdrives have problems because I can not read them.The QL drives seem to be ok,because some microdrives load.Anyway it is a nice computer and with time I will learn to do something with it!

Also many thanks to the people who run and administrate this board.

Ok,that was it as a first introduction.I will write here as I make progress with learning the QL and tinkering a bit around with it!

Greetings,
Vassilis

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Another QL newbe...

Post by vanpeebles »

Welcome and thank you! :D

What are your plans for the QL? Gaming? Programming?

nichtsnutz
ROM Dongle

Post by nichtsnutz »

Hello all,
vanpeebles wrote:Welcome and thank you! :D

As I never had a QL before I will first try to get a configuration with which I can do something! I have the four programs that came with the QL but working with them on a TV is not so comfortable.On one microdrive there was a C Compiler!? but I have no handbook.I had learned some C back then on my Atari STF,only the basics.On the QL I will first use the build in SuperBASIC.Trying out programs from the manual.Also I will try to do some data exchange with a PC over the serial ports as described on another thread here in the forum,but first I have to find some cables because I have an english QL with this RJ-?? connectors! Then I would also try to connect the QL to a modern monitor as is also described on another thread here.I am also interested in the hardware of the QL,how the ULAs work or how to interface something to the QL.I found the QL Service Manual but exept this,there is only little about the QL hardware out there!? Some gaming would be also nice but I will first have to find a game and then also to transfer it.
My progress will be sure slow,but it does not matter.The point is to have fun with this hobby and also learn about the technics.

Greetings,
Vassilis

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

The problem with the microdrives may just be down to cleaning the tape heads, and inspecting :
a) the rubber wheel on the left hand side of the drive
- is it worn? If so, try turning it upside down
- is it too far up or down the metal post it sits on? There should be a small gap underneath it - I push it down onto a piece of card and then remove the card.

b) the small felt pads at the top of the microdrive cartridge (just visibile between the plastic and the actual tape).
- is it missing, or badly worn down? You may want to try replacing this, it is tricky, and not very successful, but some people have managed it. Find a piece of felt, or cut a piece from an old cassette (they use similar pads, but larger!)

nichtsnutz
ROM Dongle

Post by nichtsnutz »

Hello all,

@RWAP: thank you for the tips.I looked at the microdrives and cleaned them with a small cotton pad.Also the rubber wheel of the motors seems to be ok.The microdrive cartridges themselves are the problem.This small felt pad is the biggest problem.Some of them are worn,some seem to be ok,but will be worn after the cartridge has been put into the drive.I think after 23+ years the felt pads got dry and fragile! I have to avoid to use them often until I am able to backup (copy them over the serial line to the PC) them somewhere.
Anyway,I have put them all into mdv1_ to look what is on them.This is my list:

1. Cracked QLFLIGHT simulator.
2. A breakout game in SBasic.
3. A SBasic golf game.
4. A Sbasic game sattelites,like lunar lander.
5. A SBasic paint program leonardo,but I think it needs more ram because it does not load,or the cart is defective!?
6. A GO like game Qthello.
7. The cartridge doctor by Talent Computer Systems 1985.
8. A fastcopy program from Rob Sheratt.
9. A german graphic adventure game Rescue on Horan.
10. On two mdv a C compiler from GST.
11. A computer One Forth programming language.
12. QL PASCAL 1.01 compiler from Computer One.
13. A LISP interpreter,do not know how to use it...
14. A Program called E.V.A or eva !? Needs a floppy,could not start it.
15. Knight Flight a game like Joust.
16. Hyperdrive, also a car racing game.
17. A supercopy program...
18. A game named CUTHBERT
19. A Metacomco Assembler v1.10, is there a manual for this anywhere !??
20. Matchpoint a nice but difficult Tennis game.
21. A SBasic program to plot 3D math functions.
22. The QL TOOLKIT program,have to find out what this is,a SBasic extension!?
23. E.A.S.E a desktop emulation program,but it does not load a second time !#?@$
24. some defective and two empty microdrives.

Ok,this was it for now,have to look for the manuals for the Assembler and C,PASCAL language.But working in mode 4 on a television is not really nice!

Have a nice sunday evening,
Vassilis

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

nichtsnutz wrote:
1. Cracked QLFLIGHT simulator.
2. A breakout game in SBasic.
3. A SBasic golf game.
4. A Sbasic game sattelites,like lunar lander.
5. A SBasic paint program leonardo,but I think it needs more ram because it does not load,or the cart is defective!?
7. The cartridge doctor by Talent Computer Systems 1985.
11. A computer One Forth programming language.
12. QL PASCAL 1.01 compiler from Computer One.
14. A Program called E.V.A or eva !? Needs a floppy,could not start it.
15. Knight Flight a game like Joust.
16. Hyperdrive, also a car racing game.
19. A Metacomco Assembler v1.10, is there a manual for this anywhere !??
20. Matchpoint a nice but difficult Tennis game.
21. A SBasic program to plot 3D math functions.
22. The QL TOOLKIT program,have to find out what this is,a SBasic extension!?
23. E.A.S.E a desktop emulation program,but it does not load a second time !#?@$
24. some defective and two empty microdrives.
Have a look on the QL Wiki - most of this software has now been preserved and can be supplied as a backup if you prove that you have the original

I have a spare Metacomco assembler manual I believe.

I need to get copies of the following (from above list) for preservation purposes::

Leonardo rings a bell. The GO program may be of interest if it is the commercial version (there was a free version in QL World from memory).

GST have given their consent for their programs to be made public domain, but I don't think we have QC by them!

As for (18) - is this called Cuthbert in Space, or something else?

nichtsnutz
ROM Dongle

Post by nichtsnutz »

Hello RWAP,

I unfortunately have no possibility at the time to transfer the microdrives to the PC.I have read the thread here about connecting the QL to the PC over a serial line,but I am not that far at the time.It will need some time.I also do not want to use them too much to not worn them more.
But if you can transfer them to another medium I could send the drives to you to copy them for the preservation project.If you want,then write me a p.m. with your address where to send you the microdrives.
I would be interested in the assembler manual,maybe you have a pdf of it ?
The game is indeed the cuthbert in space.

My next step will be also to try to connect the QL to the PC over a serial line.I got a Centronics serial to parallel interface together with the QL so I have one serial cable when I desolder it.Maybe you know what jacks are used? Is it some kind of RJ-xx ? What jacks are used for the network ? is it 3.5mm mono jacks ?

Thank you and greetings,
Vassilis

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

nichtsnutz wrote:I got a Centronics serial to parallel interface together with the QL so I have one serial cable when I desolder it.
Dont destroy the printer interface.
I have a spare serial cable for english QL (6-pin RJ connector to female 9-pin Canon connector) and I dont need it (as I have german QL with different connectors).
nichtsnutz wrote:What jacks are used for the network ? is it 3.5mm mono jacks ?
Yes, exactly.

nichtsnutz
ROM Dongle

Post by nichtsnutz »

Hello dex,

I do not intend to destroy the interface! Also thank you for the offer,but I first would like to try to find the connectors,so I can also build some more and also for the CTLx ports,although they have the notch on the other side!? Anyway,I have made a picture of the interface:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/atari600xl ... hotostream

I do not own a printer with a centronics interface anymore,so this is only a collection item for me.If I have many time I would try to explore how it works...

Greetings,
Vassilis

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

nichtsnutz wrote:Hello all,
vanpeebles wrote:Welcome and thank you! :D

but first I have to find some cables because I have an english QL with this RJ-?? connectors! Then I would also try to connect the QL to a modern monitor as is also described on another thread here.I am also interested in the hardware of the QL,how the ULAs work or how to interface something to the QL.I found the QL Service Manual but exept this,there is only little about the QL hardware out there!? Vassilis
When I spoke to David Buckley about his little robot controlled by a QL at the Quanta meeting over the weekend, he said that the RJ6 (I think they are called) connectors were used on a QL because apparently Sinclair wanted to use standard British Telecom telephone plugs originally but could not get BT permission as there were concerns that people would connect QL directly to telephone systems and things might go awfully wrong! So these similar connectors with different alignments were used instead. How I wish they had been able to use 9 pin D like the rest of the world! I used to buy the connectors from Tony Firshman at TF Services but I don't know if thye are still available or not. David did say he had plenty of them (for use with his robots I guess), but I don't think he wants to sell them.
All sorts of QL programs and articles and so on for QL beginners on my website www.dilwyn.me.uk but it's such a big site it can be hard to track things down, that's why I put the QL-specific search engine on the home page. There is a little article on there about connecting QL to a Scart connector TV. Some people have had good success using a Scart socket TV as a monitor for QL this way.
Anyway, welcome to the QL. Remember that the QL user group Quanta is still going strong (although its website is in the process of a very slow migration to a new ISP at the moment) - there an alternative Quanta page on my website, but you won't be able to subscribe online until the new Quanta website is up and runnign I guess.
Dilwyn