Another Dutch guy logging on

Introduce yourself here!
DutchAcorn
ROM Dongle

Another Dutch guy logging on

Post by DutchAcorn »

After mum and dad got a divorce in the early eighties dad got us 4 brothers an Acorn BBC B and mum bought us a Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16K). This was the beginning for me in computing, not counting the Atari 2600 that came before that.

Winning a local programming competition got us an Acorn Electron (which was sold soon after we found it was a step back from the Beeb). With money made from the illegal sales of Spectrum games we got a C64 :oops: .

After that came the Atari 1040 ST and later an Acorn Archimedes that I used while studying computer science at university.

The Sinclair QL was one of those computers I read about in the magazines but I never actually touched BITD.

Some two years ago my retro fire was kindled after my dad brought along our old trusty BBC B; the only computer that survived the decades. A few months later I bought someone's attic full of Acorn hardware, software and books and that really set it off.

The current inventory:
Acorn BBC B & 6502 Second processor
Acorn BBC B tape only, econet
Acorn BBC B+ 64K, econet (not working)
Acorn Master Turbo
Acorn Electron Plus 1&3
Acorn A4 (not working)
Acorn Atom
Acorn Archimedes A340
Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K
Sinclair ZX81 (not working)

And my latest addition: a QL including documentation.

Basically I try to get new stuff, learn as much as I can / like about it, fix what needs fixing, and sell again to make space for new stuff. I mostly enjoy connecting everything to everything.

That way I can enjoy a lot of retro computing without having to fill a warehouse. Still, looking at my current list of computers, it does not seem to work as well as it should... :)

I joined the Stardot forum a year ago after I got all the Acorn hardware and in a lapse of creativity thought the name DutchAcorn would do. Oh well, I'll stick to it now.

Being Dutch I can come across as insensitive at times - it's a cultural thing 8-) . The good part is that it takes a lot to offend me. :mrgreen:

At forums I try to help where I can and share what I learn. Ofcourse I'll pop a few questions that will advertise my incompetence at anything related to the QL. I hope to pick up enough knowledge to be of future use to someone. Anyone.

Back to the QL I got: it's seems a clean but basic model without any additions. It does have a few microdrive cartridges I can have a look at.

I ordered two new rollers for the microdrives and I know about the felt pad issue. My first job will be to make a video cable to connect it to my trusty Microvitec Cub (should have some din plugs somewhere).

Any other things I should do to get her into shape? Capacitors to replace?

Cheers,
Paul

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Another Dutch guy logging on

Post by vanpeebles »

A warm welcome to the forum :D

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Welcome to the forums - if you need a CUB monitor lead, I can let you have one for £8 plus postage :)

DutchAcorn
ROM Dongle

Post by DutchAcorn »

RWAP wrote:Welcome to the forums - if you need a CUB monitor lead, I can let you have one for £8 plus postage :)
Thanks Rich, it's good to know you have them. I should be able to fix one up myself. ;)

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Welcome to our Forum Paul!

:D :D :D

Yep, I'm here as well :lol:

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)