Hi from Germany

Introduce yourself here!
Tom Phobos
ROM Dongle

Hi from Germany

Post by Tom Phobos »

Hu there,

my name is Thomas and i'm a "fresh" QL-owner from Germany. I got my first QL a few weeks ago, together with a manual and 38 microdrives. When i got it, it didn't worked. The keyboard membrane was broken, also it had some stucked keys. With the big help from Rich from RWAP Software, who sent me a new membrane and a new keyboard bubble mat, the QL works now :) Also the microdrives are ok, so i now have a working QL with stock configuration :)
I collect computers and videogame consoles, also i have some ZX81s and ZX Spectrums, but i'm absolutely new to the QL. I really enjoy to "explore" the QL and have fun with this really nice computer :) Next i would like to buy some extensions like the Qubide clone that was introduced here.

So i think the QL world has much things to explore, i'm really looking forward to it :)

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Hi from Germany

Post by vanpeebles »

Welcome to the forum! :) Are you looking to play games on the QL?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Welcome to the forums :)

Tom Phobos
ROM Dongle

Post by Tom Phobos »

Thank you for the warm welcome :)

For the games
vanpeebles wrote:Are you looking to play games on the QL?
Well, personally i only have QL Chess and a non-working cart witb Backgammon on it. It would be nice to have some more games, but i think they are hard to find (especially on microdrive). I think i'll mainly use the QL for some programming and playing around wih the QDOS and some applications. I would like to program in C, BASIC and Assembler (here i have to find an assembler cart). But first i have to learn how to operate the QL, so the first steps are reading the manual and try some commands ;)

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Welcome to our Forum Thomas!

Using and learning SuperBASIC on the QL is just a bit more fun than on a lot of other 1980's computers :D

:D :D :D

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Welcome to the forum and the inexplicably addictive world of the QL :D

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

1024MAK wrote:Using and learning SuperBASIC on the QL is just a bit more fun than on a lot of other 1980's computersMark
Well SuperBASIC was an excellent language of its time. But I must say (I love the QL),it's now a bit out dated compared to "the monthy PHYTON's flying circus". Python has as SuperBASIC slicing. Albeit normal strings are not writeable, only read only. Of course you can set them with e. g. PythonString="lorem ipsum", but (as in SB) PythonString(4 to 6)="123" is not possible. BTW: The slicing is a bit different in Python, than in SuperBASIC. "PythonString"(2,5) would be "tho". I. e. it counts strings from zero and zero goes up to the char before 5 (relative to zero).

If you really need a sliceable "string" on the left side, you can "transform" a string to a list. This also supports slicing, but even on the left side.

A good C++ framework which supports string slicing is YACL (Yet Another Class Library) from M. A. Sridhar. His slicing is also different: "0123456789"(2,5) results in "23456" and is IMHO very clever. Strings also start from zero, the slicing is the offset (from zero) and then the length, which should be sliced.

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
Tom Phobos
ROM Dongle

Post by Tom Phobos »

Thank you for the welcome :)

I read some pages of the SuperBASIC-book from Jan Jonas and i'm really impressed how many modern constructs it has, especially compared to the BASIC-interpreters of the most 8-Bit-systems. Functions, procedures, local variables ... not bad! :)
Actually i program in C# for my company, before that i mostly programmed in C, Forth and Assembler (Z80, x86). So the next thing i have to learn how to operate the C-compiler on the QL (i have a microdrive with a compiler) and how to put a Forth-system onto a microdrive ;)