Sinclair QL books.

Looking for that hard to find item? Post here!
chriskgnr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Sinclair QL books.

Post by chriskgnr »

Hi!
I am looking for the following Sinclair QL books:
"Inside the Sinclair QL: An introductory guide to the hardware" by Jeff Naylor and Diane Rogers, and
"Sinclair QL Adventures: A micro adventurer's handbook" by Tony Bridge and Richard Williams.
If someone has one or both of them, just inform me.
0-946408-40-8.jpg
0-946408-40-8.jpg (41.27 KiB) Viewed 7041 times
0-94640-866-1.jpg
0-94640-866-1.jpg (38.15 KiB) Viewed 7041 times

ppe
Trump Card

Re: Sinclair QL books.

Post by ppe »

chriskgnr wrote: "Inside the Sinclair QL: An introductory guide to the hardware" by Jeff Naylor and Diane Rogers
Hello,

Out of curiosity: is there a specific reason why you are interested in this one? I find it rather lacking in QL-specific information. I have a copy but it is in rather poor condition.

Cheers,
Petri

chriskgnr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by chriskgnr »

Hi Petri!

Along with the use of QL, i am try to learn more from books written for the QL. I found quite informative some books of "The SInclair QL Series", and the books from Sunshine publications. And to be honest, these two books are missing from my Sunshine series books! ;)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

chriskgnr wrote:Hi Petri!

Along with the use of QL, i am try to learn more from books written for the QL. I found quite informative some books of "The SInclair QL Series", and the books from Sunshine publications. And to be honest, these two books are missing from my Sunshine series books! ;)
Some QL books were scanned by Javier Guerra and his Spanish colleagues as a preservtion project for the 25th anniversary of the QL and they are available as PDFs here:
http://sinclairql.speccy.org/archivo/docs/docs.htm

If you go to http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek.cgi and enter QL in the search box (optionally selecting books in the drop down) you'll find a few books. Most will just have a summary or cover picture, but some are available to download.

There's a lot of scanned SInclair publications (mostly Spectrum, a few QL including a copy of the Jan Jones QL SuperBasic book) at ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/books/

Not quite sure if all these are entirely legal, though.

There's some second hand QL books at http://www.retrogames.co.uk/default/off ... s/QL_Books

Have a look on http://www.sellmyretro.com - there's usually second hand QL bits and books there.

chriskgnr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by chriskgnr »

Hello dilwyn!
Among others, i found the "Sinclair QL Adventures: A micro adventurer's handbook" in pdf format! thank you :)
What do you mean when you're saying "Not quite sure if all these are entirely legal, though."? Isn't it legal to scan and post these books, after 30 years? :?

chriskgnr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by chriskgnr »

ppe wrote: I have a copy but it is in rather poor condition.
Hello Petri! Are you willing to be separated from your book? :D

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

chriskgnr wrote:Hello dilwyn!
Among others, i found the "Sinclair QL Adventures: A micro adventurer's handbook" in pdf format! thank you :)
What do you mean when you're saying "Not quite sure if all these are entirely legal, though."? Isn't it legal to scan and post these books, after 30 years? :?
Hi Chris,
This is a link to the UK Intellectual Property Office
http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-dura ... -lasts.htm

I wasn't 100% sure because I remembered copyright rules changed in Britain in the 1990s. The link above gives a bit more information. It looks like, since these books were published before 1996, that they might come under the 25 year directive for the EEA. It looks like in the UK copyright in a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work lasts for the life of the author and 70 years from the end of the year in which he/she died.

Would be glad if someone could clarify this for me!

I know Javier Guerra said he got permission from Jan Jones to put the PDF of her Superbasic guide on his website, so I presume he's done the same for all the stuff there.

In principle, a lot of what's on these types of sites are viewed as "abandonware" and the site owners willingly take them down if authors ask them to. AFAIK none of these QL books is still in print, so the authors and publishers MIGHT not object, much like the makers of old TV sets, vacuum cleaners etc don't mind their manuals being made available as it saves them the trouble with older stuff!

Like I said, playing safe and hopefully someone will clarify the legal situation for me.

chriskgnr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by chriskgnr »

I agree that it's better to play safe, but 70 more years from the authors death, is quite a waiting! :shock: Until then, i have become stardust! :lol: Anyway, i think that the real situation is as you described it in the last paragraph. ;)

chriskgnr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by chriskgnr »

Just right now, i read in the link you gave, that "Copyright in a published edition expires 25 years from the end of the year in which the edition was first published."! But this refers for the EU?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

chriskgnr wrote:Just right now, i read in the link you gave, that "Copyright in a published edition expires 25 years from the end of the year in which the edition was first published."! But this refers for the EU?
I don't know. The link I gave doesn't make it 100% clear. That's why I asked someone to clarify.