Unpickable Window

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
dden
ROM Dongle

Unpickable Window

Post by dden »

Anyone know how to make an unpickable window for display of a logo?

A bit like wallpaper or a BGIMAGE in SMSQ/E, but part screen only (i.e. a window).

David

David
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Unpickable Window

Post by pjw »

I dont. But you could try a work-around, such as 1) using a graphics program to add the logo to the background image, or 2) Make a job display your logo and execute it with EXEP <path><job>, u. The latter method would require the job to do some nifty footwork to avoid disappearing or messing up your display. Finally, 3) you could find a way (I dont offhand know how) to find the location of the BGIMAGE and POKE your logo image data there..

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

A couple of ideas for you to experiment with, dden. I emphasise these are only ideas and I've not tried these and no guarantee whatsoever if any would just be a complete waste of your time:

1. Create a job which has only a SCR channel open, loads an image into that SCR window then sets its own priority to 0 to avoid taking up too much processor time. Since this doesn't have a CON channel, it's possible pointer interface might not save the window content and no keyboard input would be possible for e.g. ESC to quit, so job removal would have to be via RJOB or similar (although the job could probably loop around at a low priority of say 1 instead checking KEYROW or sv_arbuf for a given keypress).

2. Create a job which has a con_0x0 (possible only in some versions of the operating systems) and a larger SCR channel. Never tried this to know how that would work from the point of view of save/restore window content and keyboard.

3. Locate the sources for BGIMAGE command in SMSQ/E sources (probably best to ask someone already familiar with them as it can be a tortuous process if you've never delved in them before) to see how unpickable background displays work.

Exactly what are you trying to achieve with this? Am I correct you are thinking in terms of some part-screen wallpaper or the like?

EmmBee
Trump Card

Post by EmmBee »

It sounds as though you're going to be needing BGIMAGE. I take it this is the top left corner of the screen, Screen_base - the start address of display memory.
This can be found with PEEK_L(CHBASE(#1)+50). CHBASE can be obtained from DIY VolQ_QBASE, see: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/tk/diytk2.zip
You'll also be needing to know the number of bytes in each row of pixels. This can be found with PEEK_W(CHBASE(#1)+100).
Adding on the number bytes will give the successive addresses down the left edge.
With this information, you can then POKE$ each row of your logo down the left-hand side of the screen.
Now, experiment using pan and scroll to get your logo to the required position.
Use LBYTES to save to a file, and then you're ready to use BGIMAGE to load in your wallpaper with the partial background image.
This is only an idea - I've never tried this. You'll probably have to experiment.

EmmBee