$$external problem

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: $$external problem

Post by tofro »

What unfortunately really doesn't work on SMSQ/E is Free Running Procedures.

(Have a compiled extension run as an independent background job by adding an exclamation mark to the procedure name).

I believe this has to do with some sort of timing when a job is started which is different on SMSQ/E.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
EmmBee
Trump Card

Post by EmmBee »

Giorgio Garabello wrote:Problem solved. Replacing QLIB_RUN with QLIB_RUN_mod336 works perfectly.
Who knows why?

Giorgio
Where can we find QLIB_RUN_mod336 ?

Artificer
Brittle Membrane

Post by Artificer »

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Artificer wrote:You could try http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/qlib/index.html
To the best of my knowledge, those on there only fix the ERNUM/ERLIN problem area in QLiberator.

The QLIB_RUN_bas and QLibrun_bas programs are on older SMSQ/E disks from Jochen Merz, where they were mentioned in his printed SMSQ/E manuals. I don't know the copyright situation of those programs, so I don't really want to post them on here until I know.

But what I could probably do is run those programs on original copies of QLIB_RUN (and possibly QLIB_RUNmod... versions of Thierry's) and place them on here for people to try - if they work and allow successful use of externals, I could add the QLIB_runmod_mods to my QLiberator page.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

qlrun2.zip
Tried using QLIB_RUN_bas to modify:

1. "Vanilla" unmodified QLIB_run 3.36
2. QLIB_RUN335_mod
3. QLIB_RUN336_mod

Patched files and short readme_txt attached - let me know if these work and then I can make them available via my website. If anyone knows the status of the qlib_run_bas programs, we may then be able to make those available too.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi

I tried the Qlib_RUN2 runtimes and the compiled externals examples in the Qlib Manual now work in SMSQmulator and QPC2

Regards,

Derek
BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

dilwyn wrote:The QLIB_RUN_bas and QLibrun_bas programs are on older SMSQ/E disks from Jochen Merz, where they were mentioned in his printed SMSQ/E manuals. I don't know the copyright situation of those programs, so I don't really want to post them on here until I know.
Maybe Wolfgang Lenerz can be persuaded to add them to the SMSQ/E pages with the Additional Information & Data.
This should also include the other Patch programs (ArchRtm, C68_40 & Qref) and HDUTILS as they were once standard part of the SMSQ/E package.

Bob

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi

I tried the Qlib_RUN2 runtimes and the compiled externals examples in the Qlib Manual now work in SMSQmulator and QPC2
Thanks Derek. I'll add QLIB_RUN2 to my Q-Liberator page now.

Were you able to test if free-running compiled procedures (the type you start by placing an exclamation mark after the name) work now?

Free-running procedures are described on page 14.9 of my printed Q-Liberator 3.36 manual for anyone not familiar with them.

I can see I'm going to have to sit down now and learn about Externals for myself!!!

EmmBee
Trump Card

Post by EmmBee »

I don't think this works, actually. Neglecting to get rid of the SBASIC code is the culprit. In this case, SBASIC would take precedence over any loaded extension and produce a misleading correct result. Any loaded QLIB extensions never get the chance to be tested.

Let's hope that Wolfgang can come to the rescue.

Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

Post by Giorgio Garabello »

EmmBee wrote:I don't think this works, actually. Neglecting to get rid of the SBASIC code is the culprit. In this case, SBASIC would take precedence over any loaded extension and produce a misleading correct result. Any loaded QLIB extensions never get the chance to be tested.

Let's hope that Wolfgang can come to the rescue.
Excuse me I did not understand your explanation, can you be clearer please?

Giorgio