Qjewels

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Qjewels

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have been trying to run Qjewels in Q68 DIP_MODE 6 - 512x384 Mode 33. This being the fastest Q68 Hi-Colour mode. But this screen mode does not have enough resolution.

It does run in DISP_MODE 7 - 1025x768 Mode 33.

I would like to use the 512x384 modd. Is the source available to implement this screen mode
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Qjewels

Post by tofro »

Derek,
yes, the sources are available to anyone who wants them. Simply send me a PM or e-Mail. To do what you have in mind, they are not needed, however (The full game is also a bit tricky to build with Turbo, all the bitmap resources and extensions and config blocks, and I never got around to write a proper build procedure):

Simply use menuconfig and configure the game to "Size of User Interface: Small" and it will come up with a 252x258 pixel window with small icons and run happily in the Q68 "small" screen mode.

I could claim QJewels was written with the Q68 in mind, but that would be lying ;)

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Tobias,

I should known that there was config blocks.

I will configure tomorrow and try it on the Q68.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Derek_Stewart wrote:I have been trying to run Qjewels in Q68 DIP_MODE 6 - 512x384 Mode 33. This being the fastest Q68 Hi-Colour mode.
Just for completeness, the fastest Hi-Colour mode is the Q60-like 512x256 (DISP_MODE 2). But 512x384 is my favorite.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have configured Qjewels with Menuconfig to use small icons.

Qjewels runs great in Q68 DISP_MODE 6: 512×384 MODE 33.

I find this resolution suitable for most my needs.

Regards,

Derek
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

QJewels source code is now available on my GitHub repository:

If someone wants to extend it to the full Candy Crush experience, feel free to branch it.....

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Nice-looking game tofro! :)

I had some trouble compiling it as I had to change a few fixed file locations. Also I dont (yet) know what sound_cde is; there are a few different sound-related toolkits out there. The one Ive always used on QPC2 (SMSQMulator has it built in) is called sound_bin and that doesnt have a device named SOUND5, AFAIA. I changed all that to my local circumstances and all seems to work well, sound an' all. Thank you!

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

pjw wrote:Nice-looking game tofro! :)

I had some trouble compiling it as I had to change a few fixed file locations. Also I dont (yet) know what sound_cde is; there are a few different sound-related toolkits out there. The one Ive always used on QPC2 (SMSQMulator has it built in) is called sound_bin and that doesnt have a device named SOUND5, AFAIA. I changed all that to my local circumstances and all seems to work well, sound an' all. Thank you!
That's interesting - I thought I used the sound driver that came with QPC2, but after all these years really can't be sure. Maybe it's the original one by Simon Goodwin? I don't know.

Good you managed to make it compile on your system!

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

BTW there are some work-arounds around bugs in some older version of the QXL GD2 drivers in the code (they are marked) that should no longer be necessary with recent SMSQ versions and significantly slow down the animation - They should be removed (marked in comments).

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

tofro wrote:BTW there are some work-arounds around bugs in some older version of the QXL GD2 drivers in the code (they are marked) that should no longer be necessary with recent SMSQ versions and significantly slow down the animation - They should be removed (marked in comments).
Yup, much better :)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?