Forum Announcement
23/02/2018 - The Online Chat isn't working via the normal link.
You can connect via IRC, or using another web client - https://kiwiirc.com/client/chat.qlforum.co.uk/#qlforum

QL Graphics

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
pjw
Gold Card

Re: QL Graphics

Postby pjw » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:47 pm

martyn_hill wrote:Whilst Per has moved on to to fry bigger fish :-)
I warned you at the start: There are many questions. I have moved on, but in a spiral fashion :) The question will be re-visited but for now Ive got enough working possibilities to get on with. It seems I was not the only person in need of such a routine. As it very well can be done as a project in its own right, if anyone is at a loose end, please fell free to have a go! Ill be happy to put it to good use :)

I thought I'd close the Mode4/Mode8 'sample-point' conversation...

Should anyone find it of any value, the address offsets (integer) for a set of 127x test-points forming a spiral, based on the 32k QL display can be found attached as a .txt file and saved as spiral_offsets.zip

The pattern itself looks like:
spiral_testpoints.png

:-)

Of course Ill have a think on it. But the (temporary) conclusion Ive come to is as I stated earlier: a distributed statistical sample (I dont have the language, but I know what I mean ;)) seems to be the most efficient approach. For now Ill settle for the brute force "methodology", as I reckon that itll be a one-off cost in most instances, applied to mainly older, unchanging files. A user making new screen dumps would then hopefully learn to use _scr4 and _scr8 extension names in the future..
Confucius say: "By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." I trust that these forces will be at work here too.. :mrgreen:

Per
Assumptions should only be a first resort when the cost of being wrong is less than the trouble of finding out the facts! - pjw, 2016
NormanDunbar
Gold Card

Postby NormanDunbar » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:01 pm

Confucius also said:

Woman with skirt held up runs faster than man with trousers down.

And:

Man who defecates on weighbridge craps on a grand scale.

Allegedly! :D

Cheers,
Norm. In bed. Full of cold. Drugged to the eyeballs! Wheeeeeeeeeeee! :(

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
How come Tarzan never grew a beard?
pjw
Gold Card

Postby pjw » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:55 am

NormanDunbar wrote:Confucius also said:

Woman with skirt held up runs faster than man with trousers down.

And:

Man who defecates on weighbridge craps on a grand scale.

Allegedly! :D

Cheers,
Norm. In bed. Full of cold. Drugged to the eyeballs! Wheeeeeeeeeeee! :(

Thanks for your contribution, Norm. I hope you get better soon! Are you sure youre not confusing Confucius with someone else?
Actually, I was not indulging in a bit of frivolity: The Confucius quote is part of my "strategy" to improve recognition of file types! If it works it will improve detection rates to ~100% in ~0 seconds, ~99.9% of the time!

Per
Assumptions should only be a first resort when the cost of being wrong is less than the trouble of finding out the facts! - pjw, 2016
NormanDunbar
Gold Card

Postby NormanDunbar » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:23 am

Morning Per,

I blame the drugs. Sorry. Mind you, it might have also been my "strange" sense of humour.

I fully agree with your Confucius quote though, that one makes total sense.

Time for more drugs!

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
How come Tarzan never grew a beard?
Peter
Super Gold Card

Postby Peter » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:17 am

tofro wrote:
martyn_hill wrote:I wonder if anyone (Nasta?) knows whether the 8301 starts flashing in the _next_ pixel having detected a FLASH bit set, or on the current pixel?

That's in the Technical Guide, no need to bother Nasta ;)

The Technical Guide is not precise on this, I had to try out myself for the Q68 implementation of FLASH. From actual hardware, I can confirm Jan is right.

Return to “Software & Programming”