Exceptions: Error in Pennell QDOS Companion

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Exceptions: Error in Pennell QDOS Companion

Post by NormanDunbar »

EDIT: Corrected typo in first draft! See Tobias' comment below.

I'm looking at some QLMultiMOn code from GitHub (Hi Jan) , it's in assembly, and handles exceptions. Always a bugbear of mine!

Most exceptions stack the following data on the SUPERVISOR SP, or A7 in the exception handler:

2(A7) = PC value that caused the exception.
0(A7) = Status Register value at exception time.

That's three words in total on the SSP.

There are a couple of exceptions in the QL that stack 4 extra words of information, BUS and ADDRESS. RESET is similar, but is ignored. These extra words give the stack the following appearance:

10(A7) = PC value that caused the exception.
8(A7) = Status Register value at exception time.
6(A7) = First word of instruction that barfed.
2(A7) = Address that was accessed to cause the exception.
0(A7) = Access type/Function code word.

Pennell on page 91, shows that the Address that was accessed and caused the exception is at 4(A7) when all my other books are 2(A7) as I have listed above, also, Pennell states that $0C(A7) is the PC value that caused the exception, and not $0A(A7) (or 10(A7)) as per my other books, and the above. Can someone please confirm that I am correct.

Cheers,
Norm.
Last edited by NormanDunbar on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Exceptions: Error in Pennell QDOS Companion

Post by tofro »

NormanDunbar wrote: Most exceptions stack the following data on the SUPERVISOR SP, or A7 in the exception handler:

4(A7) = PC value that caused the exception.
0(A7) = Status Register value at exception time.

That's three words in total on the SSP.
Last sentence is correct, but doesn't fit your layout: address for PC should be 2(a7), the status register is only two bytes.
NormanDunbar wrote: There are a couple of exceptions in the QL that stack 4 extra words of information, BUS and ADDRESS. RESET is similar, but is ignored. These extra words give the stack the following appearance:

10(A7) = PC value that caused the exception.
8(A7) = Status Register value at exception time.
6(A7) = First word of instruction that barfed.
2(A7) = Address that was accessed to cause the exception.
0(A7) = Access type/Function code word.

Pennell on page 91, shows that the Address that was accessed and caused the exception is at 4(A7) when all my other books are 2(A7) as I have listed above, also, Pennell states that $0C(A7) is the PC value that caused the exception, and not $0A(A7) (or 10(A7)) as per my other books, and the above. Can someone please confirm that I am correct.
The Motorola MC68000 programming manual is with you (and not Mr Pennell) on that.

A comment on the PC value on the stack: That is only a hint, and simply says "we were somewhere there when we crashed" - It can easily be 2-10 bytes off, depending on the instruction.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: Exceptions: Error in Pennell QDOS Companion

Post by NormanDunbar »

Thanks Tobias. I've corrected my own typo on the first post. It seems I can't write down what I'm thinking!
A comment on the PC value on the stack: That is only a hint, and simply says "we were somewhere there when we crashed" - It can easily be 2-10 bytes off, depending on the instruction.
My books mention this for the BUS Error only. It appears that a BUS error can happen at any point during the execution of a long instruction. One of them also says that:
Although the 68000 cannot itself return from a Group 0 exception, you can write an exception handler to use the information on the stack to create a new stack frame from which a return can be made. This procedure is not recommended. If you want to implement a return from Group 0 exception, you should use a 68020 or later processor.
which seems a tad harsh! The book in question is Alan Clements - 68000 Family Assembly Language (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Assembly-Langu ... ef=sr_1_16).

I have updated my copy/ies of Pennell. Thanks.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.