URGENT / IMPORTANT: BANDERSNATCH (MIA)

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Re: URGENT / IMPORTANT: BANDERSNATCH (MIA)

Post by Outsoft »

NormanDunbar wrote:Morning Simon,

"dumped", in English, has many meanings:
  • Discarded, thrown away.
  • Dumped by your partner = no longer your partner.
  • To take a backup of software or data.
  • To use the toilet!!!! :o
I think Tobias means that he got rid of all his MD cartridges.

Cheers,
Norm.
ok ;)

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

Martin_Head wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

I have found a dissembley of the Atari ST version. It looks like alot of work to convert to the QL. There is much use of the hardware Blitter chip, which the QL does not have.
I have done a disassembly of the QL version. The dump that was posted here has a problem in the data file seg_aaa

I was trying to find where the program accesses that part of the seg_aaa file that is corrupted. So I could try to find what was going wrong.

I was getting close, It seems to be in the middle of a recursive routine, that not only calls itself. But also calls routines that call the recursive routine.

As another copy of the program has surfaced, I have put it on hold. If this other copy is posted here I will try to use it to fix the broken one.
If I will find another one I will send to all here, is a promise.

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

I have found a dissembley of the Atari ST version. It looks like alot of work to convert to the QL. There is much use of the hardware Blitter chip, which the QL does not have.

Could a software blitter routine be fast enough to perform the block transfer of data in parallel with the CPU operation?

The Minerva fast memory move vector could probably achieve this. Assuming the routine could be multitasked.
Strange because I had it on my 1040 SFTM (that haven't the blittter) and works well ;)

So I think It was programmed for use it on a Blitter ST (MEGA ones) but also with others than haven't it (520ST, 520SFT, 520STFM, 1040STF, 1040STFM).

I remeber that when there was many "sprites" on the game is slows a lot.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

For the sake of completeness, I attach the zip file containing the only mode 8 version which has been found - unfortunately, it soon crashes and so you can only explore the first screen.
Attachments
Bandersnatch (Sinclair) Mode 8 Version.zip
(11.88 KiB) Downloaded 208 times

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I came across an article today:

https://m.nosher.net/archives/computers ... 84-03_003a

It seems as though several ex-Imagine staff, including former Imagine directors Dave Lawson and Ian Hetherington, as well as Eugene Evans, Tom Flannery, Michael Glover and Andrew Sinclair - set up new company Fire Iron in Liverpool to develop the various Megagames on behalf of Sinclair.

If these could be tracked down - they might have more information about Bandersnatch and the cartridges.... :D

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Looks like the Nostalgia Nerd did a piece on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq4JSpDLb0w

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I watched the video by Nostalgia Nerd, which really done. In fact I have wztch alot of his videos.

I thought an interesting point was the conversion of Bandersnatch from Spectrum to Amiga, which leads to an interesting point, Z80 to 68000 assembler conversion is possible assuming the source is available.

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

bwinkel67 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:48 am Looks like the Nostalgia Nerd did a piece on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq4JSpDLb0w
Very interesting video.