20 Line Programming Challenge

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
thorsinclair
Trump Card

Re: 20 Line Programming Challenge

Post by thorsinclair »

Yes, this gos off topic and I have just created a new thread, let's go there. I have always some spare time to do some pixel work on sprites, just started to do some Galaga bees ;)
Just looking for somebody who could do the coding. Would be cool to create a nice retro arcade game for the QL!

Best,
Thor

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: 20 Line Programming Challenge

Post by NormanDunbar »

RWAP wrote:If all a user has is Notepad, then that program adds the wrong code (CR,LF) to end each line of text (and you also get spacing before each line).
Umm, if all a user has is Notepad, then I assume Windows. In which case, most (all?) versions of Windows after 3.11 (!) come with Wordpad as well as Notepad.

It's doesn't appear on the accessories menu as far as I remember, but you can add it there.

You can use it to open txt files by coniguring it in Explorer:
  • Right click a text file name while holding shift. (You may not need shift with some Windows versions)
  • Select Open WIth ...
  • Choose Program ...
  • Wait .....it has to think for a bit.
  • Scroll down, looking for WordPad.
  • If you find it, select it and check the box that says "Always use this program ..."
  • If you don't find it, click the Other ... button.
  • Navigate to c:\windows\system32 and locate the file named "write.exe" - yes, I know! (Your location for windows may differ depending on the version)
  • OK your way out.
For a one-off, use start->Run->Write.exe and wordpad will load.

When you save a text file, it saves back with the same line endings as the file had when it was read in. You always get a prompt saying "are you sure you want to save in text mode" (or words to that effect) - just say "yes".

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.