QL CP/M

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Re: QL CP/M

Post by 1024MAK »

Paul wrote:Are these CP/M versions emulating a 8080 or z80 processor?
The Z80 is code compatible with 8080 code.
CP/M itself as supplied by Digital Research should run on either a 8080, 8085 or a Z80.
However, system specific code (the low level input/output code written for a Z80 system) and some applications were written for Z80 CPU's and as such will not run on 8080 systems or 8085 systems.

I assume these QL CP/M packages supplied the correct low level system specific code.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

I have an expansion card that plugs into the QL Expansion port and some 5.25" discs, which is 68K CPM.

I never really got it working, need a 5.25" drive.
Derek - someone has recently messaged me about a Miracle 5.25" disk drive ....

I need some photos of this for the QL Wiki and details - is there a ROM which could be read for example - this will be the Quest interface (very rare indeed) !!

Otherwise Norman has read in 5.25" disks for me before!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Here are some quick photos od the OS Card Module I bought many years ago with some Quest M68K CP/M 5.25" discs.

Not if the card work with the Quest M68K CP/M.

I have a 40/80 Track 5.25" drive from a newly aquired BBC Micro, so that sure read the discs.
Attachments
QICT LTD OS Card Back
QICT LTD OS Card Back
QICT LTD OS Card Front
QICT LTD OS Card Front

Regards,

Derek
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

This was essential to be able to use the CP/M system from Quest - see:

http://www.rwapadventures.com/ql_wiki/i ... tle=OScard

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

RWAP wrote:This was essential to be able to use the CP/M system from Quest - see:

http://www.rwapadventures.com/ql_wiki/i ... tle=OScard
Looks a bit different...?!

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Yes, the picture on the QL Wiki is taken from their advertising and is marked MPC Module Iss A - so not sure if this might just be an early version or something different (certainly their pull out brochure made only a reference to the OS Card)..

Other than the board being reversed there does not appear to be that much difference - but you cannot tell from such a poor image...

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The large chip: Mostek MK4801, looks to be a 1K 8 Bit Static ram chip. This must store the CP/M setting.

One thought was how the OS Card connected to the QL and disk interface, as most of the Quest interfaces I have seen are not through ported. Maybe a Expansion port system was sold with the M68K CP/M system.

I will see if I can get the system up and running, with old BBC 5.25" drive, I have a Qplane and a Sandy Disk interface. Though the voltage regulator input/Outputs will have to be shorted out to get the interfaces working on the Qplane system.

Regards,

Derek
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

The large chip: Mostek MK4801, looks to be a 1K 8 Bit Static ram chip. This must store the CP/M setting.
Derek,
I would actually have expected to see more RAM - CP/M 68 k requires RAM at the lower addresses by design (applications are normally loaded at $400 if they haven't messed it up completely), so I'd have expected to see at least 64k RAM there to replace the QL's ROM for the vector tables and the lower area of the TPA. Or maybe it's really something entirely different.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have some floppy disks, but have never really got the system running.

Maybe this is not part of the Quest M68K CP/M

But please an extract from QL Technical Report No1 regards Quest M68K CP/M by Michael L. Jackson

Which reminds me, I have to finish the QL Technical Report scanning.
Attachments
QLTR-02_CPM-68K Further Thoughts.pdf
QL Technical Report No2: by MIchael L. Jackson
(309.6 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
QLTR01_Quest_M68K-CPM.pdf
QL Technical Report No1: by Michael L. Jackson
(494.86 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

Regards,

Derek
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Derek_Stewart wrote: But please an extract from QL Technical Report No1 regards Quest M68K CP/M by Michael L. Jackson
Ooh - I have an email address for a QL user called Michael L Jackson - I will send him an email :)