My game development thread

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

My game development thread

Post by vanpeebles »

Lately I have been a bit quiet QL wise as I have been planning my first QL game. A Sherlock Holmes themed text adventure that I hoping to make on either The Quill or ACT.

So far all my work has been on the actual planning of the game, it's still at the story stage and working out how the gameplay will fit into the story and into a text adventure. I'm planning to set it in a small house with just a few rooms but they will be full of details and ripe for deductions.

All ideas and comments are welcome!

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: My game development thread

Post by Dave »

As a fellow "game writer" I would be happy to help beta testing. Also, every general encouragement and cheerleading - just don't expect me to wear the outfit - I'd look ridiculous.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Very commendable and as a Sherlock Holmes and adventure fan, I ought to support this one :-)

I might suggest that you consider writing this in Quill - on my website, there is a public domain utility to convert Quill based adventures to SuperBASIC, which can then be compiled (and even for you to add graphics to it).

At least then you know it will work on all QL variations.

ACT compiled adventures should also work on QL variations, and allow graphics to be added, so I guess it is whichever you find easiest to use.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

The questions I'm posed with at the moment is how will the gameplay take form. I would like it to be a detailed scene that you investigate and note the details you think are important on paper.

But how would the game know you have examined the right items and not the red herrings etc? Via the use of flags? and also would the end game take the forum of a series of questions? Who do you think did it, what was the weapon with you typing in your findings?

I'm hoping to add a measure command as the sizes of things will be important, maybe a deduction command would help with the puzzle solving?

With the puzzles being different from take x and use x a lot of details on execution are still swirling about in my head.

Initially because I have my locals and objects preplanned I was going to try setting them in The Quill and ACT to see which works best.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Just some random thoughts:
  • Each and every adventure of the 80ies used to have its very own make of unpassable maze. Please leave that out - I never found this to be a real challenge, rather more annoying. If you think you need it, just make some humoruous reference to it (like one room that's called "the maze", but really isn't or something)
  • How about having a special location (like a lab desk somewhere, equipped with microscope, analytic chemicals, whatever), that allows Sherlock to deeply investigate on clues or items he's found?
  • Don't forget that Dr. Watson needs his fair share in the game as well - Maybe his medical skills are needed?
  • Holmes' special ability was disguise (I remember I actually learned that English word from the famous Sherlock Holmes game on the Spectrum - Had to look it up in a dictionary while playing and never again forgot it). Might be difficult to fit into the story when you set the story onto a limited scene, however.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Some great ideas! No mazes though, I don't like them either! Initially with this been my first game and first use of Quill/ACT I'm aiming to keep it down to a minimum of locations, so far:

The living room
Hallway
Garden/Entrance
Upstairs
Bedrooms

The lab and disguises would be superb ideas for the sequel though.

On a side note has anyone played the Frogwares Sherlock games? They are superb too!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Actually reading your ideas again about the lab, made me have an idea. I could make certain clues an actual object within the quill or ACT and then that would give me something to work with.

"It may be that you are not yourself luminous, but you are a conductor of light." :lol:

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Maybe instead of a maze, you could have a haze - after all there was the London Smogs at the time, and also the hazes when Holmes went into the opium dens or was taking his seven per-cent solution!

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

vanpeebles wrote:Actually reading your ideas again about the lab, made me have an idea. I could make certain clues an actual object within the quill or ACT and then that would give me something to work with.

"It may be that you are not yourself luminous, but you are a conductor of light." :lol:
I was actually just taking it for granted thet the clues and probably even "thoughts" about them would be inventory objects (Because I couldn't imagine how else it could be made - So, actually, just lack of imagination.....).
I'm not familiar with any of the tools you use, but if you could build in more than one inventory (or a container object in one inventory), you could separate them from the 'physical' ones.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Just a quick update as I've been busy spring cleaning. I'm on hols for a bit after this week so the game will be kicking back off then :)