Getting the Most From Quanta & Access Library

Thinking of joining QUANTA? Post any questions here.
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Getting the Most From Quanta & Access Library

Post by vanpeebles »

When is the next deadline?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Best ask MrNavigator direct about deadline, or start a new topic !!

Anyway, the library guide is now available on the Quanta website -

https://quanta.org.uk/software-library/

Members can also download a zip file of the library CD ROM - this is password protected, so you will need to use the form to ask the librarian for the password.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I have real trouble getting that library guide to run on qemulator. It either hangs or cannot find dbs file. I've tried with minerva rom too, I got it working ages ago but can't remember what I did now.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

You know what would be good? If they just published the software for everyone and said, "If you find anything of use in here that you might have paid for, join Quanta with the money instead!"

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

vanpeebles wrote:When is the next deadline?
5th February 2014, although the sooner you can get it to Mr Navigator the better

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Dave wrote:You know what would be good? If they just published the software for everyone and said, "If you find anything of use in here that you might have paid for, join Quanta with the money instead!"
Simple matter of copyright - large number of authors of library program never gave permission for it to be freely distributable.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

vanpeebles wrote:I have real trouble getting that library guide to run on qemulator. It either hangs or cannot find dbs file. I've tried with minerva rom too, I got it working ages ago but can't remember what I did now.
Will look into that. The Library Guide itself is a fairly old program written by Norman Dunbar and I am not even sure that the sources would be available now, although no harm in asking him perhaps.

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

vanpeebles wrote:When is the next deadline?
The deadline for all submissions, if you wish to get something in for the issue following your submission is the 5th of the month (alternative months).

So for 2014 (as an example the next deadline for articles etc.) it will be :
  • Feb 5th for the February March issue 1
    April 5th for the April May issue 2
    June 5th for the June July issue 3
    August 5th for the August September issue 4
    October 5th for the October November issue 5
    December 5th for the December January issue 6
Please state in any correspondence if the item is time related, the editor will try and identify this if obvious.

Please also note that QUANTA committee members (including myself) do not all access the forum or do not rely on the forum for QUANTA matters, it has in place contact methods for all forms of communication and that this should be used.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Library Guide.... AARGH!

Post by Simon_Carr »

Okay, this is a bit embarrassing, as it is only four months since I put in the original post, and this thread had lots of useful information, which I read, and then promptly forgot as life took over...

I have finally ( :shock: ) had chance to sit down for a proper hour and try to start exploring the QUANTA software library. I am planning to migrate a load of software onto my new QL-SD, now that I have a reliable, modern form of data storage. However, I have been chasing myself around in circles all evening trying to just browse the QUANTA library using my full version of Qemulator on my iMac.

I have mounted the QXL.WIN file onto MDV1_ and have been able to gain directory access, but I cannot for the life of me get the LG01_Libguide to work! I have been using lrun mdv1_lg01_libguide, which loads something, but then I just get a flashing cursor and a black screen. I have used Qemulator as a 640kb JS-ROM (i.e. the same as my actual QL) and also as a Minerva, but neither gives me any joy.

Please, someone tell me that I am being an idiot, and don't deserve to have access to a QL, but put me out of my misery and tell me what I am doing wrong!

Unpacking a JS-ROM QL, with a QL-SD and SuperQBoard, and busily refelting millions of microdrives
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: Library Guide.... AARGH!

Post by Dave »

Simon_Carr wrote:Please, someone tell me that I am being an idiot, and don't deserve to have access to a QL, but put me out of my misery and tell me what I am doing wrong!
You are an idiot. You don't deserve access to a QL. I am not going to tell you what you're doing wrong. It's not because I don't know, though.

What happens when you type "list"?