CST Thor 1

The Thor, Aurora, Q40 and Q60 etc. are discussed here.
User avatar
bagpuss22
Bent Pin Expansion Port
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:57 am
Location: East Sussex, United Kingdom

CST Thor 1

Postby bagpuss22 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:34 am

Any CST Thor owners here?

I have a CST Thro 1 which is in an unknown condition. Case needs a sandblast and powdercoat and I have
a new case sticker in production. Would be nice to get this up and running. There is battery leak damage
but I think I have replaced the destroyed tracks.

PSU test first, then floppy test on my QL.

Russ


User avatar
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: North East UK

Re: CST Thor 1

Postby vanpeebles » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:36 am

Any pics? :)


User avatar
Derek_Stewart
Aurora
Posts: 816
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Runcorn, Cheshire, UK

Re: CST Thor 1

Postby Derek_Stewart » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:36 am

bagpuss22 wrote:Any CST Thor owners here?

I have a CST Thro 1 which is in an unknown condition. Case needs a sandblast and powdercoat and I have
a new case sticker in production. Would be nice to get this up and running. There is battery leak damage
but I think I have replaced the destroyed tracks.

PSU test first, then floppy test on my QL.

Russ


Hi Russ,

I too have a Thor 1 in bits and some untested expansion boards, but no power supply.

The Case is a little scratched, but not rusty.

I was going to adapt a ITX PC power supply to be installed in the Thor Case.


Regards,

Derek
User avatar
bagpuss22
Bent Pin Expansion Port
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:57 am
Location: East Sussex, United Kingdom

Re: CST Thor 1

Postby bagpuss22 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:38 am

HI there,

My case was starting to rust so it is being sandblasted and powder coated this week.

Original state.
Image

Image

Image

Image

I will not be powering it up until I have tested the PSU to make sure its OK.


User avatar
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: North East UK

Re: CST Thor 1

Postby vanpeebles » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:44 am

Interesting stuff! The sandblast and power coat should look amazing once it's done :)


User avatar
bagpuss22
Bent Pin Expansion Port
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:57 am
Location: East Sussex, United Kingdom

Re: CST Thor 1

Postby bagpuss22 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:13 pm

OK phase 1 complete!

Brass fixtures and fittings have arrived from China and the case is back from the paint and finishers. Replacement CST Thor case stickers
are in the post ( I will have a fair few spare! ).

Image

Image

Image

Image


Ralf R.

Re: CST Thor 1

Postby Ralf R. » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:03 am

Looks great! Now I hope, the electronics will work, too.


User avatar
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: North East UK

Re: CST Thor 1

Postby vanpeebles » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:52 am

Looks like new!!


User avatar
bagpuss22
Bent Pin Expansion Port
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:57 am
Location: East Sussex, United Kingdom

Re: CST Thor 1

Postby bagpuss22 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:46 am

Ralf R. wrote:Looks great! Now I hope, the electronics will work, too.


I hope so too! :shock:

I have to admit I should have tested the internals first but I am hoping that they should be easy to test and fix (if needed).

The PSU, floppies and QL board are modular and replaceable, the battery damage to the extension card was limited to around
the RTC. I have cleaned that up and replaced a couple of broken tracks, so fingers crossed.


User avatar
Derek_Stewart
Aurora
Posts: 816
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Runcorn, Cheshire, UK

Re: CST Thor 1

Postby Derek_Stewart » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:05 am

bagpuss22 wrote:
Ralf R. wrote:Looks great! Now I hope, the electronics will work, too.


I hope so too! :shock:

I have to admit I should have tested the internals first but I am hoping that they should be easy to test and fix (if needed).

The PSU, floppies and QL board are modular and replaceable, the battery damage to the extension card was limited to around
the RTC. I have cleaned that up and replaced a couple of broken tracks, so fingers crossed.


Hi,

I have a Thor 1, but no power supply, I was going to adapt a small ATX power supply to power the Thor 1. Which I have not got around to yet.

I have some spare Thor 1 untested expansion boards, another project was to build another Thor 1 into a PC case with an AT power supply.


Regards,

Derek

Return to “Compatibles Corner”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest