Microdrive cartridge preservation

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
JonB
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Microdrive cartridge preservation

Post by JonB »

Hello

How can I preserve my microdrive cartridges? I've had 2 of them fail on me, only got 3 left. The pad seems to be coming off and jamming the tape mechanism. Is there a replacement or technique to reduce the cance of this happening?

Cheers

JonB

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: Microdrive cartridge preservation

Post by Dave »

This has been a problem for me also. I recently sold my best microdrive cartridges, which were noticeably better than the ones I have left.

I have found that the small pad detaching is not a problem in itself. It is that the pad gets drawn into the microdrive plastic enclosure and stops the tape moving smoothly that is the real problem.

Luckily, I have floppies now.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

You can (carefully) replace the felt pads on the microdrive cartridges - you can remove the old felt pad and replace it with a new one - either take one from a normal cassette and cut it in half (and then use superglue), or look at:

http://www.8-track-shack.com/cassette-t ... 17881.html

(although I am not sure if these are too thick)

We also have some new old stock microdrive cartridges:

http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detail ... -case-2644

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I'm quite sure only a minority of earlier microdrives have felt pads. The majority of later ones have a closed cell foam pad which is darker, and which after 20-30 years tends to liquify, getting sticky. Looking at mine enlarged, they're definitely bubbles in a plastic and not wool fibres.