Troubles with Minerva ROM and RAM test

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Troubles with Minerva ROM and RAM test

Post by vanpeebles »

My main QL(the white one) has a hermes and Minerva MK2 upgrades but no matter what disk interface I use it always finds RAM faults.

It would boot my SuperQboard and work with sometimes limited ram or basic 128k but it refuses completely to even acknowledge my Trump Card. Is it possible the QL is faulty or is on the limit powerwise? Would it be worth fitting them into another QL to see if it makes a difference? Both cards work fine on a stock QL even with programs that use a lot of memory.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: Troubles with Minerva ROM and RAM test

Post by RWAP »

Minerva has a much improved RAM test than the original QL ROM, so it could just be picking up bad memory - also check none of the pins are bent in the expansion connector (you never know). It could well be a bad memory chip on the QL itself, but if Minerva does not pick that up when nothing is plugged into the QL, it seems unlikely...

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I just can't believe both add-ons have dodgy ram. At the moment my best QL is just the late model standard one while my Minevra/Hermes one sits idle. :)

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

It does the same with the 512k expanderam too! I think I'm going to take this QL to the coast and throw it into the sea! :x

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Might be worth plugging the Minerva ROM into your other QL and testing the interfaces with that QL.

This is where Tony Firshman's expertise comes to the fore, but he is not a member of the forum as yet...

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I think I'll have to order another membrane first, my best QL works fine but I'm unsure of the membrane age inside. :geek: