QL-style Raspberry Pi case

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Re: QL-style Raspberry Pi case

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Is that pronounced PIckle? :)

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Mr_Navigator wrote:Hmm some of those suggestions Dave might not work:
I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do
I've just picked up a fault in the AE35 unit. It's going to go 100% failure in 72 hours
It can only be attributable to human error.

original source image http://www.netbrawl.com/uploads/b23b2d9 ... a65a8b.jpg
original source quotes http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/quotes
Nice looking design! uQLx for Linux on the RPi is undergoing testing, so if QL style cases come along too that will be brilliant!
The name PiQL though? Hmmm... :|

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Sparrowhawk wrote:Is that pronounced PIckle? :)
yes :D

so so so many connotations :?:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

vanpeebles wrote:Haha. I'm spending the summer tinkering with my fleet of bangers. The MG needs a bit of work but I was sad to see the Alfa go.
Even his cars are version "MG" it seems :geek:

Was at the RSPB Glaslyn Osprey Centre this weekend for an event there and we had a visit by about 100 MG owners from the MG Owners Club on a round Snowdonia trip, their annual Snowdon Run. Spent some time (in the rain!) having a good look at both the vintage and modern MGs. Don't suppose you were among them somewhere, vanpeebles?

iand
ROM Dongle

Post by iand »

Dave wrote:I am working on a design for a Raspberry Pi case in the style of the Sinclair QL black ABS case. It will be printed on a 3D printer. The idea here is to make a tough, nice looking case for the Pi that QLers will instantly recognize.

Most likely, it will look like a Tandata modem box, but smaller.

One option is to include a mini PSU to run the Pi, based off a mains->USB adaptor of the type found for $5 that autoranges from 100-240V...

Ideas - let's share them!
Just catching up on posts, are you still looking at doing this? I was thinking of building a Pi in a Spectrum case but its a bit to small

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

dilwyn wrote:
vanpeebles wrote:Haha. I'm spending the summer tinkering with my fleet of bangers. The MG needs a bit of work but I was sad to see the Alfa go.

Was at the RSPB Glaslyn Osprey Centre this weekend for an event there and we had a visit by about 100 MG owners from the MG Owners Club on a round Snowdonia trip, their annual Snowdon Run. Spent some time (in the rain!) having a good look at both the vintage and modern MGs. Don't suppose you were among them somewhere, vanpeebles?
:lol: Just seen this post now, no it's a bit too much of a trek(no pun) for me but it sounds like a good event. Did you take any pics?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

vanpeebles wrote:
dilwyn wrote:

:lol: Just seen this post now, no it's a bit too much of a trek(no pun) for me but it sounds like a good event. Did you take any pics?
It was raining too much for me to take pictures. Part of the site, including two marquees and the craft event car parking got flooded. Eventually the organisers abandoned the event as the site was in serious danger of becoming totally flooded. I have a couple of pictures of the flood if you'd like to see those (we took pictures of that end of the site in case it became an insurance issue).

Dilwyn

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

iand wrote:
Dave wrote:I am working on a design for a Raspberry Pi case in the style of the Sinclair QL black ABS case. It will be printed on a 3D printer. The idea here is to make a tough, nice looking case for the Pi that QLers will instantly recognize.

One option is to include a mini PSU to run the Pi, based off a mains->USB adaptor of the type found for $5 that autoranges from 100-240V...

Just catching up on posts, are you still looking at doing this? I was thinking of building a Pi in a Spectrum case but its a bit to small
John Alexander (who is on the ql-users list) is also doing RPi cases, though not in QL style AFAIK. Not sure either if he's using 3d printersor how he's doing them. Maybe you can all see them in the pictures of the Wigan Raspberry Jam.

Dilwyn

iand
ROM Dongle

Post by iand »

dilwyn wrote:
iand wrote:

John Alexander (who is on the ql-users list) is also doing RPi cases, though not in QL style AFAIK. Not sure either if he's using 3d printersor how he's doing them. Maybe you can all see them in the pictures of t
he Wigan Raspberry Jam.

Dilwyn
I was at the Wigan jam, I arranged it :)
John had his case on display.

I think it should be possible to read the ql keyboard and convert it USB and then mount the pi in a real ql. I may look for a broken ql on ebay

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

My Pi arrived last week. I've put it in a PiBow case which, although not QL-ish, at least reminds me of my spectrum thanks to the spectrum of coloured layers it uses. Very pretty :D

Loving it so far. I've only installed the RISC OS distro so far (excellent! ) but this weekend I hope to get Raspian (Pi-optimised debian Linux) running on it too and then stick an external HDD off it and use it as a small LAMP test stack.

It really does rekindle the fun factor with regards computing. I don't know why really - it's just a small computer, but there's something about it...

a.k.a. Jean-Yves