Pascal Dongle (offered up for preservation purposes)

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
aminor
ROM Dongle

Pascal Dongle (offered up for preservation purposes)

Post by aminor »

Dear All,

The QL I've just bought off eBay has arrived with the Metacomco Pascal dongle referred to here: http://www.rwapadventures.com/ql_wiki/i ... O%20PASCAL and here: http://www.sincuser.f9.co.uk/040/qlsoft.htm.

From the detail in the Sinclair User article this dongle appears to act as a copy protection device. Is there any benefit, from a software preservation point of view, in sending this dongle to someone experienced so that they can duplicate it?

Or is this a waste of time and has someone already hacked the Pascal package to ignore the dongle?

I also have two microdrive cartridges labelled "Pascal A" and "Pascal B" which I assume contain the "runtime editor and compiler" but unfortunately no "excellent and comprehensive Reference Guide". Unfortunately the cartirdges also appear to be copies, with hand written labels. I'm also willing to send those away to be duplicated for preservation but I have no idea yet if they work.

Funnily enough, in late '86 or early '87 I was bought an Atari 520STFM and mono monitor and the very first bit of software bought to go with it was Metacomco Pascal. I still have my ST and, somewhere, I believe also Metacomco Pascal and original packaging and thick reference book.

Regards

Andrew
Last edited by aminor on Sat May 12, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aminor
ROM Dongle

Re: Pascal Dongle

Post by aminor »

OK, I've tested the QL and I'm very happy to say that it works fine.

The Pascal dongle also works OK (doesn't report "Bad ROM" or stop the QL from booting) and the "ROM" command reports that it is Pascal version 1.8.

Are there enough of these things floating around that nobody needs to make a copy for preservation or have I accidentally broken a forum rule by offering it up for duplication?

I have yet to try out the two Pascal microdrives. I've been having too much fun playing with Quill, Easel and Abacus

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: Pascal Dongle (offered up for preservation purposes)

Post by RWAP »

I have preserved the Metacomco pascal microdrive cartridges, although I do need an image of the ROM cartridge please - maybe you could post it up to me and I will back it up :)

aminor
ROM Dongle

Post by aminor »

RWAP wrote:I have preserved the Metacomco pascal microdrive cartridges, although I do need an image of the ROM cartridge please - maybe you could post it up to me and I will back it up :)
Hello!

No problem at all, I'll post it tomorrow to the following address:

RWAP Software,
3 Dale View Court,
Fulford,
Stoke-On-Trent,
Staffordshire
ST11 9BA

If you want it sent anywhere else just shout.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

That's the right address :D

aminor
ROM Dongle

Post by aminor »

Hi Rich,

I sent it out 1st Class Registered post today. I've also included a stamped addressed envelope for it's return once you've finished with it.

Andrew

aminor
ROM Dongle

Post by aminor »

Hi Rich,

Just a quick note to say thanks for returning it so quickly and via registered post.

It's all safe and sound.

Cheers

Andrew