GC/SGC battery replacements...

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

GC/SGC battery replacements...

Post by Dave »

Hi folks,

It's been a LONG time without an update.

I have assembled a few of the first battery replacements and am testing them now to make sure they meet all dimensional, operational and materials requirements. Unfortunately, the PCB house didn't put the CE logo on them as was required/requested, so I'll have to have that corrected, but right now it looks like they should be ready to ship in 6-8 weeks. (It takes 3-4 weeks to get PCBs shipped at a price I'd like.)

Dave

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: GC/SGC battery replacements...

Post by RWAP »

That is good news indeed - plenty of Gold Card / Super Gold Card owners will be pleased to see these available again

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Would a small CE sticker suffice, or does it have to be on the PCB itself?

ANyway, good news, look forward to these becoming available.

Dilwyn

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

My understanding is that a sticker is acceptable, but the CE is supposed to be part of the fabric of the device. I believe most will sell into industrial applications as these batteries were used mostly in industrial automation systems, so it matters that it's right.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

After early testing, everything is electrically sound, but there are two mechanical issues:

1. The pins I selected are just fractionally too small for the turned sockets on some GCs and SGCs.
2. The style of battery holder I purchased isn't ideal - they are right on the dimensional limits, and when typing, can make intermittent contact with the metal undertray of the keyboard - unacceptable.

I have modifications for both.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Hi all,

After three different test boards, I hit a wall - the problem being that the battery has to fit within small dimensional limits forces the PCB to be so thin that it is fragile and easily damaged and broken. Any product which has a good chance of not surviving shipping or the installation process is a bad product.

I've stepped back and looked at a different route, and have found a different way to assemble the battery replacements - well, two!

The new, simpler design is much quicker to complete.

Updates soon!

twellys
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by twellys »

Good luck with that Dave!