QL Eprom programmer

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: QL Eprom programmer

Post by Dave »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Maybe it is better to foget about QEP as there is no schematics, PCB files, parts lists, software amybe still copyright, no software source code.
I have a schematic. It was made by one of the better known people who frequents here. However, the schematic is not very useful. It's split across several pages and there are many missing/hanging nets. Also, the power arrangement on it to create programming power is insane.

I got a semi-functional board.

It seems not just designing and building the board is necessary, but also very careful set-up and calibration. Those details are lost.

It might be that a different project might be better for you and the community?

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

the service manual and the user manual together have an awful lot of good info on the QEPIII - I found them on Dilwyn's site.

There is a full circuit diagram - all be it on several pages of the pdf. For proper programming and verifying - you need to be able to supply two programmable voltages - vcc variable from 4V to 6V, and programming voltage - ranging from 12V to 27V, the VCC variation is just for under and over voltage and some devices required VCC to 6V for programming.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

That's what I used. It was.... problematic.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have also downloaded the QEP Service manual by Ian Burkinshaw, which I liked his documentation on the Serial I/O Cotroller, which I have partially done a schematic. with view to producing a PCB for myself.

Maybe I could so the schematic for QEP based on Ian's circuit diagram.

What is the best CAD pacakge: Eagle or KiCad or Geda ?

Regards,

Derek
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

I have uploaded the schematics, binary and source of my QL EPROMmer to GitHub, it's at https://github.com/SinclairQL/EPROMmer.

Have fun,

Jan.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have got a QEPIII Eprom Programmer from Ebay, I have not tried it yet, but here are some photographs.
QEPIII Front Box
QEPIII Front Box
QEPIII Front Box
QEPIII Front Box
QEPIII Boxed
QEPIII Boxed
QEPIII Top
QEPIII Top
QEPIII Back
QEPIII Back
I will dig out a QL and post pictures of the programming of eproms.

Maybe we should have a message thread like on the Stardot.org Acorn Forum for people to post messages of new QL hardware they have aquired.

Regards,

Derek
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Hi Derek,
Derek_Stewart wrote:What is the best CAD pacakge: Eagle or KiCad or Geda ?
Eagle is limited in size and layers unless you pay. I think they alienated a lot of users recentlybwhen they changed all the rules. I never got to grips with Eagle.

Geda I've never used.

Kicad I quite like, but it has its foibles. CERN use it and help develop it, so if it's good enough for CERN, I can probably get used to it.

For relatively simply stuff, I sometimes use Fritzing. I did a double sided board for an Arduino clone a while back. I still need to get it fabricated though.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I personally liked Eagle, but it has got all commerical. But saying that I have the professional version tunning on Linux and Wine.

I have dabbled with Altium Designer, but is a little too money for me.

KiCad and gEDA looks a developing platform and is open source.

I will update the QL Wiki with the QEPIII pictures.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Interesting shape of lines on the Eprommer PCB. I wonder whether they were made by flexible adhesive tape or even painted...

Since I know "PADS" from the past as a good PCB CAD package, "PADS Maker" also looks interesting. There is a restriction of 1500 connections and 6 layers, and the license must be renewed every year, but that looks acceptable for my hobby projects. Haven't tried yet.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I had a QEPIII, it was a good programmer, if a little limited on the eproms it could program by today's standards.

It did seem to offer the potential for expansion though, as the algorithms and circuit were published, but I could not see how you would make use of that in the current gui interface.

If you were to make more of these or even expand it's capabilities, then using a wide laned zif socket and a programmable supply might allow other devices to be programmed to - such as GAL