(Newbie) Aurora / Gold Card

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
twellys
Bent Pin Expansion Port

(Newbie) Aurora / Gold Card

Post by twellys »

(Newbie Alert!)

Bought a Aurora card from Rich recently, as I was thinking about putting the QL in a PC box. Bought a Gold Card of Rich earlier in the year, so I thought I'd be sorted.

Reading the Aurora manual the evening before putting the components together, it said that Gold Card's with yellow pcbs were not supported. From reading the QubIDE manual, I infer it's because A18 and A19 are not connected. Am I right so far?

Could I connect A18 and A19 up on the Gold Card please?

Otherwise I'll probably take the SuperHermes and the Minerve from the Aurora and put them in my QL, whilst I wait for a (Super) Gold Card to come along.

Cheers,

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: (Newbie) Aurora / Gold Card

Post by RWAP »

twellys wrote:(Newbie Alert!)

Bought a Aurora card from Rich recently, as I was thinking about putting the QL in a PC box. Bought a Gold Card of Rich earlier in the year, so I thought I'd be sorted.

Reading the Aurora manual the evening before putting the components together, it said that Gold Card's with yellow pcbs were not supported. From reading the QubIDE manual, I infer it's because A18 and A19 are not connected. Am I right so far?

Could I connect A18 and A19 up on the Gold Card please?

Otherwise I'll probably take the SuperHermes and the Minerve from the Aurora and put them in my QL, whilst I wait for a (Super) Gold Card to come along.

Cheers,
Sorry - but I have absolutely no idea on this one.....

You may be better to contact Tony Firshman via the ql-users email list.

twellys
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by twellys »

Cheers Rich, I'll do that.

T.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Please take plenty of photos as you go! :geek:

twellys
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by twellys »

Well, finally I connected the Aurora to Gold Card up, then connected an old PC power supply, before switching on.

Result?

The display had a red background with black and white squares in - so maybe recognisable as jumbled up start? However the display was a Dell LCD, so maybe it's worth putting a CRT display in just in case.

(Photos coming, ok!)

<off topic>

I also have to put in the extra SuperHermes into the original QL (Two reasons - DiRen keyboard, and maybe the Gold Card if the Aurora doesn't work).

Finally I have to re-atttach the LED wires to the socket on the motherboard of another QL (Spare). It's not difficult, just tricky - especially as I've got one hand of out action as present.

Toodle pip.

twellys
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by twellys »

Ah... my bulb lights at last. D'Oh!

The reason the Del LCD was corrupted because the Aurora defaults to QL mode if there is no boot from floppy (from finally reading the Aurora manual).

So, I need a CPLD/FPGA to convert the lower res to 1024 x 768 for the Dell.

Another thing to add to the list....

Note: Writing the code for the FPGA is easy - the hard part for me is soldering the parts together (Had a stroke two years after uni). Hey, I'm still struggling to get the led wires back in the QL board. Ho hum, now the red wire goes first...

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

With your mental dexterity and lack of physical prowess, and my physical dexterity and lack of mental prowess (head injury from car accident) we should team up and make one good developer between us ;)