Naive question about SCART connection on TV

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Cristian
Aurora

Re: Naive question about SCART connection on TV

Post by Cristian »

Eureka!

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Great news :D

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Jornaclaude
ROM Dongle

Post by Jornaclaude »

Hello,
I've a question for georgeo...
Looking at the screen you've posted, I see you have a very good resolution on your UMC TV.
Did you see the full characters on the side of the screen, like on a monitor?
Is it about the quality of the cable or have you made adjustments to the TV?
I made my own SCART cable (following fruitcake info) and I also have a good signal but I cannot see the left characters when I choose monitor output.
Are you able to give a look to your cable connections?
Thank you

Jornaclaude

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Jornaclaude wrote: I made my own SCART cable (following fruitcake info) but I cannot see the left characters when I choose monitor output.
This issue is normal and does not depend on the cable

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Cristian wrote:
Jornaclaude wrote: I made my own SCART cable (following fruitcake info) but I cannot see the left characters when I choose monitor output.
This issue is normal and does not depend on the cable
Yes, the QL's video output does not fully comply with the TV broadcast standards. Back in the 1980s, monitor manufacturers adjusted the monitors to suit the wider than normal ("overscan") output from the QL.
Now with modern equipment, whether you get the full width depends on how much adjustment the TV (or monitor) manufacturer has provided. Some work okay after fiddling with the user controls/adjustments, while others can't display the first (left hand side), the last (right hand side) or both edges. In which case, use the TV mode.
The selection of TV vs. monitor mode just changes the layout the QL OS uses. All the QL video outputs produce a video picture regardless.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Jornaclaude
ROM Dongle

Post by Jornaclaude »

Ok, thanks for the answers @1024Mak and @Cristian,

So I need a better explaination... I'm still not clear one thing
If I have a program that requires for example an output to 85 columns and runs in tv mode, will it change the display mode by itself?
In this case, having a TV instead of the monitor, will the problem of character cutting on the left reoccur?
Thanks

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Jornaclaude wrote: If I have a program that requires for example an output to 85 columns and runs in tv mode, will it change the display mode by itself?
In this case, having a TV instead of the monitor, will the problem of character cutting on the left reoccur?
Thanks
The display mode does not change by itself, but there are programs (like Quill etc.) that allow to choose to reduce their column number for TV output.
Simply a normal TV can't display the whole QL output available, therefore you need an upscaler

Jornaclaude
ROM Dongle

Post by Jornaclaude »

Cristian wrote:
Jornaclaude wrote: Simply a normal TV can't display the whole QL output available, therefore you need an upscaler
My next purchase :-)

Jornaclaude

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

No. Your next purchase should be a QubIDE or QL-SD. Getting you using and saving data with the display you have will be more immediately rewarding. Also, it'll give you a good sense of what we've been through the last 34 years and help you understand some of the software design decisions.

You're trying to avoid the bad bits. I'm sorry, but you need to "take your lumps" ;)

What's Italian for "take your lumps"?

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

My question is, what's "take your lumps" in English??? :-)