Microperipherals Floppy Interface R/W

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Cristian
Aurora

Re: Microperipherals Floppy Interface R/W

Post by Cristian »

Startax wrote:That would be great! thanks... I'll have a look to previous versions too, then..
I tried the latest unregistered version of QemuLator, and actually it does not allow to attach .zip files and write to disk. The previous unregistered versions have the same behaviour.
Last edited by Cristian on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Startax
ROM Dongle

Post by Startax »

janbredenbeek wrote: I used to own a MP interface, both with original ROM and QJump replacement ROM. As far as I can remember the formats were compatible, with one exception: The MP ROM writes the header information at the start of the file, with the directory entry only holding the file name (like the MDV driver). The QJump driver does the opposite: the directory entry holds the full header information while the header at the start is incomplete (and perhaps holds only garbage).
This means that floppies written by a MP ROM can usually be read normally by a QJump ROM but when trying to EXEC a file you'll get an error because it reads the header from the wrong location.

Jan.
But I'm actually doing the opposite... I have a real MP trying to read a QJump emulated ROM (as far as i think QPC2 is using that...)...

Trying to use a WIN disk in QPC2 and will see if it works...

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

RWAP wrote: Nothing has changed from this point of view in the unregistered q-emulator (certainly not the Windows version).
Yes it's true. The Mac unregistered version misled me because it strangely shows the .zip option as functional. It lets you go to the folder and choose the .zip file, but when you click the "Choose zip/qlpack" button nothing happens. Sorry!

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Startax wrote:By running the 'unzipped to floppy' Quill, Qemulator is able to make it work, but 'passing' the floppy to the real QL (unexpanded, unMinerved, un ToolboxIIed) and running the Boot, it doesn't work saying bad parameter when there's a EXEC_W command calling Quill main program...
So the Qdos formatted floppy, containing the unzipped Quill, runs normally on Qemulator. This sounds like a problem in QL side (lack of Toolkit2, ROM version etc.)

Startax
ROM Dongle

Post by Startax »

tofro wrote:See my answer above (did you overlook that) - simply don't use a dos drive to unpack any executable to, instead use ram or win. Everything else you did fine.
Yes, I read Tobias but spent some time to understand how to do it...but actually it was the right suggestion because finally i made it work.

To recap, maybe it could be helpful for some newbies like me...:
1. On QPC2, format a WIN virtual disk - e.g. WIN_FORMAT 2,1(RET) FORMAT WIN2_20(RET) - to format 20MB on WIN2_
2. download the unzip541_bas and the .zip file (my test one was QUILL 2.35) and copy them to a Windows directory (e.g. called QUILL)
3. mount the directory QUILL on a QPC2 DOS virtual drive (e.g. DOS8_ )
4. copy the DOS8_ files to WIN2_ drive
5. run win2_unzip541_bas and save the output 'unzip' file to win2_ itself
6. EW WIN2_UNZIP;'-d FLP1_ WIN2_QUI235F.ZIP' to unzip the QUILL zip file to FLP1_ (a working Qdos formatted DD floppy - had to find some reliable ones, indeed... but they actually work fine together with a USB external floppy drive (i have a MITSUMI)
7. Then, once inserted the floppy to the REAL (unexpanded, unToolkitIIed, uneverything) QL and after VSET "FLP" (to change via software the name of drives in case you have MicroPeripherals FDK controller), crossing the fingers it WORKED.

I think the solution was to save and run the unzip541_bas file to WIN_ virtual drive itself, so it didn't lose the header as well as the .zip file.
Cristian wrote: So the Qdos formatted floppy, containing the unzipped Quill, runs normally on Qemulator. This sounds like a problem in QL side (lack of Toolkit2, ROM version etc.)
Thanks Cristian. Luckily it seemed like a 'losing header' issue....

Now, to have the Opera completed, I kindly ask you if there's a way (I'm a newbie indeed so sorry in advance) to manage Directories with an unexpanded QL (Still have no Toolkit II but i'm waiting for the ROMs and Qubide by Tetroid which are on their way)... to have each program in its own directory (with its own BOOT, etc..), thank you for any links or explanations of SBASIC commands etc...

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Startax wrote:
tofro wrote: Thanks Cristian. Luckily it seemed like a 'losing header' issue....
If true, also the emulated QL should not execute the files!

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Startax wrote: I kindly ask you if there's a way (I'm a newbie indeed so sorry in advance) to manage Directories with an unexpanded QL (Still have no Toolkit II but i'm waiting for the ROMs and Qubide by Tetroid which are on their way)... to have each program in its own directory (with its own BOOT, etc..)
With a plain unexpanded QL the directories are unavailable. To get some limited directory control, you must have at least Toolkit2. See the linked manual at section 4:
http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/pe/TK2.pdf

In the following link you can find several information about zip file transfer:
http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/gen/pcqlxfer/index.html

Did you know Dilwyn's website? It's a wonderful and huge source of information and files, and it's always updated

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Also, I don't think the MicroP interface supports directories.

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Martin_Head wrote:Also, I don't think the MicroP interface supports directories.
Definitely not.

Jan.

Startax
ROM Dongle

Post by Startax »

At this point I'll wait the Roms kit and Tetroid Interface so I'll be able to go ahead... in the mean time will enjoy my plain QL with unzipped floppys...
Thanks everybody for your help