Probably the best screen mode would DISP_MODE 6, a medium resolution of 512x384 with hi-colours. This being the fastest hi-colour mode. DISP_MODE 1 is the best for standard QL software.
I was running ACT in DISP_MODE 6, everything in the top of the screen.
Pity Steve Sutton was not around, I bought all his software.
Super Sprite Generator maybe useful. The features are:
QL SUPER SPRITE GENERATOR (hence QLSSG) consists of:
* Extensions to SuperBASIC ie; keywords
* Sprite creation programs
Its main features are:
* Sprites can be drawn & changed easily.
* Sprite drawing is multitasked.
* Each sprite can have up to 16 different shapes.
* Up to 16 different sprites on the screen at a time.
* Up to 256 sprites can be available at any one time.
* Up to 256 different planes - collisions occur in one plane.
* Smooth, flicker-free movement in 3 dimensions.
* Full choice of graphic modes & screens.
* Easy control through keywords.
* Automatic collision & edge detection.
* Choice of in-situ or pre-drawn sprite reversal.
* Sprites can be inverted or frozen instantly.
* Sprites can be made either solid or transparent (ghostly).
* Sprite speed is individually variable.