Q68 New users and general usage thread

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Peter
Gold Card

Re: Q68 New users and general usage thread

Postby Peter » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:08 pm

janbredenbeek wrote:Yes it's 1.97.
It boots, but freezes after the F1/F2 timeout. I guess because the 8049 isn't emulated by the hardware? This probably will need a rewrite of some low level I/O code, as well as a WIN driver for SDHC access. Would be an interesting project ;) . Are there any details available about the I/O hardware?

The Q68 can boot Original Minerva, if you just patch MDV1_ to WIN1_ and append an SDHC driver ROM. That will boot to the blinking cursor and even run the bootfile.
Minerva will not hang by the absent 8049. But working keyboard input requires a PS/2 driver ROM. Both ROMs exist, just no time to make the stuff ready for public release at the moment.

Peter
Gold Card

Postby Peter » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:22 pm

By the way, it would have been feasible to implement the 8049 inside the FPGA and convert the PS/2 keycodes to QL matrix by hardware. I did not do it, because direct PS/2 support was already existent for SMSQ/E and QDOS Classic. It looks like this does not upset any software except a few games.

daniel_baum
ROM Dongle

Postby daniel_baum » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:13 am

Peter wrote:
daniel_baum wrote:The only real obstacle was getting the FAT partition right.

Just for completeness: The FAT16 partition, which Derek apparently has added, is not required for a standard Q68 card. A single partition FAT32 formatted card is fine. The manual contains information on suitable software to create it.

Yes, I realised that, but it is quite useful to have it there... :)

D.

Return to “Hardware”