The Mandatory Modifications

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Cristian
Aurora

The Mandatory Modifications

Post by Cristian »

The QL Service Manual describes some "mandatory modifications":
http://www.sinclairql.net/srv/qlsm4.html#s4c
Has anyone applied them (or also other mods described in the manual)? With which results?

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: The Mandatory Modifications

Post by tofro »

On one of my QLS (a JS model) this seems to have been done at the factory (did never come around to check if really all the mods were done), or at a pretty good repair site, solder joints in no way look different than the others.

And well, it works. No idea how it would work without the mods, though.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Yes Tobias,
indeed the manual explains that "With build state D12 or higher the modifications [but only the ones described in page 4.3 and page 5.1] have already been incorporated".
The other modifications to do are mainly on the hidden (solder) side of motherboard, so they're difficult to find.
I suppose that most of people didn't "run the risk" and left their QLs as they was.
And also your board tracks seem factory cut?
So, if you can confirm that the modification are applied and you QLs are fully functional, I suppose I may proceed

tcat
Super Gold Card

Post by tcat »

Hi Cristian,

We went through `Microdrive design' topic together :-). Being no expert, please find my observations.

This is a summary of mandatory modifications.
1. Add resistor R104 (82 Ω) in TR1 collector circuit. It should be noted that this resistor is fitted in a non-standard way in the collector leg
between the transistor and the board.
2. Replace resistor R92 (was 220 Ω) with a resistor of value 390 Ω.
3. Add resistor R105 (1 KΩ) across capacitor C19.
4. Add resistor R106 (1 KΩ) across diode D17.
5. Add diode D22 (1N4148) in series with R100.
6. Add diode D23 (1N4148) in series with R101.
7. Add resistors R102, R103 (33 KΩ) between pins 19 and 21 of IC23 and VM12 (-12V rail). It is convenient to do this by laying the resistors on
top of IC23 and running a flying lead from their common connection to pin 1 (VM12) of IC25.
8. If EPROMs are fitted, upgrade firmware (IC33, IC34) to D11 standard and return salvaged EPROMs to Sinclair Research Limited. Details of
the methods used to upgrade to D11 standard are set out in sub-section 4.
9. Add MDV2 stand-off spacer.
The mod 5,6) we have discussed already, these add extra diodes on MDV head board. They should prevent drive from selecting when having no cartridge inserted. Your Iss#5 drives do not have them applied.

A visual indication whether the mods have been factory applied, is to look for flying resistors on top of ULA. See picture.
flying resistors on top of ULA ZX8302
flying resistors on top of ULA ZX8302
As already discussed, MDV in slot 1, should have screen foil on its ULA, to shield off noise coming from the PAL and TV modulator.

MDV in slot 2, may induce some noise from power-ground on copper side as its ULA is situated right above. The recommended mod is to divert the power-ground away from the ULA. See picture.
md performance mod on Iss#6 board
md performance mod on Iss#6 board
MDV in slot 2, may tend to format much fewer sectors, on occasions cannot complete format at all, while outside the slot 2 they can format alright. In such situations the mod can help.

Tomas

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Thank you very much Tomas: now it's all clear :)

tcat
Super Gold Card

Post by tcat »

Hi Cristian,

Just observations, need to be proved by experience of others.

I reckon you have Iss#5 QL board to service, I wish to learn from your steps, if you shared here in the forum, I may do the same in parallel.

Tomas

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

tcat wrote:need to be proved by experience of others.
I wish to learn from your steps
...or from my mistakes, as a "guinea pig" :mrgreen:
Seriously speaking, I'll be happy to share my progress... if any. Unfortunately I'm not exactly a hardware genious

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

tcat wrote:I wish to learn from your steps, if you shared here in the forum
So I had the time to apply all the mandatory modifications to my ISS.5 QL. The first 2 mods had already been done (by Sinclair?) so, here is what I've done:

- cut a track near the heatsink, at the border of the board and added resistor R105 (1 KΩ) across capacitor C19.

- cut another track on the solder side (close to the corner) and made a contact to another track; added resistor R106 (1 KΩ) across diode D17 (near the DVD expansion connector); added resistors R102, R103 (33 KΩ) between pins 19 and 21 of IC23 and VM12 (-12V rail).

I refused to follow Sinclair's suggestion to solder resistors and wires on the chips, and decided to make the modification on the solder side of the board: