QL ROM switcher

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Cristian
Aurora

Re: QL ROM switcher

Post by Cristian »

Smart idea Tetroid!
May I suggest not to care about the IT versions because the italian keyboard layout is almost unusable.

tetroid
Over Heated PSU

Post by tetroid »

RWAP wrote:I have had a US QL in the past - the ROM switcher will work with it - the problem is the ROM version if you are going to use the QL with an American TV via the aerial socket, you need to use the JSU (american) ROM because of the difference in scan lines and the changes made to the character font to get around this.

Oddly, so far as I know, only War In the East and D-Day contain specific UDG fonts for use on American QLs !!

The US QLs I have seen also all have a small switch underneath the TV modulator, so that you can switch between UK and US output.
Thank you Rich.

I still have my QL items still available, anyone interested, please contact me at tetroid@inbox.ru
tetroid
Over Heated PSU

Post by tetroid »

Cristian wrote:Smart idea Tetroid!
May I suggest not to care about the IT versions because the italian keyboard layout is almost unusable.
Thank you.
I added Italian and other MG ROM for assortment, Minerva is most inportant.

I still have my QL items still available, anyone interested, please contact me at tetroid@inbox.ru
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi everyone

Just wanted to share feedback on Vitaliy's latest gadget.

Arrived safely in the post about 10 days after shipment - about normal for surface mail from Russia. Packaging all up to Vitaliy's usual high standard.

The board design - including the invaluable DIP adapter to allow re-programming - are excellent. Lower in height than typical EPROM carriers (such as Minerva Mk1/2) so no tight squeeze under the keyboard typically involved in fitting.

After reading-off the ROM images that it comes shipped with - for posterity - I proceeded to re-program the entire 512kB with my own preferred combination (Minervae 1.89, 1.98, JS and MG-UK - with Tk2 or with SDC driver.)

The simple documentation is slightly erroneous on this point, as my copy stated to leave ALL switches 1-4 in OFF position for programming. In fact (and it makes sense), Sw4 needs to be in ON position to allow access to the upper 16k bank of each of the 8-blocks, and thus to re-program the entire EEPROM. I've alerted Vitaliy privately on this tiny point...

I was able to use my humble MiniPro TL866CS, using the adapter supplied by Vitaliy. Nice!

M.

tetroid
Over Heated PSU

Post by tetroid »

martyn_hill wrote:Hi everyone

Just wanted to share feedback on Vitaliy's latest gadget.

Arrived safely in the post about 10 days after shipment - about normal for surface mail from Russia. Packaging all up to Vitaliy's usual high standard.

The board design - including the invaluable DIP adapter to allow re-programming - are excellent. Lower in height than typical EPROM carriers (such as Minerva Mk1/2) so no tight squeeze under the keyboard typically involved in fitting.

After reading-off the ROM images that it comes shipped with - for posterity - I proceeded to re-program the entire 512kB with my own preferred combination (Minervae 1.89, 1.98, JS and MG-UK - with Tk2 or with SDC driver.)

The simple documentation is slightly erroneous on this point, as my copy stated to leave ALL switches 1-4 in OFF position for programming. In fact (and it makes sense), Sw4 needs to be in ON position to allow access to the upper 16k bank of each of the 8-blocks, and thus to re-program the entire EEPROM. I've alerted Vitaliy privately on this tiny point...

I was able to use my humble MiniPro TL866CS, using the adapter supplied by Vitaliy. Nice!

M.
Thank you, Martin.

I corrected schematic for DIP32 adapter and now all EEPROM programmers should work with ROM switcher in SW4 OFF position.

New version with external switches, available on SMR now.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Ooh, I think I'll order one of those external ones and a regulator to give my QL a Christmas treat. :D

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

The external switch is a terrific idea - well done, Vitaliy!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Great idea, I have bought one from SMR.

In the 1990s, I had a friend in Nort East of England, who did something lke this, except, the rom code was loaded from disk, he flipped a switch and rebooted th QL. Into the new rom code. There was only one prototype done.

Regards,

Derek
M68008
Trump Card

Post by M68008 »

If I turn off the C000-FFFF area in the ROM switcher, can I use an external ROM cartridge?

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Yes.