Which video output do you use? Why?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!

Which video output do you use?

RGB output
88%
Composite output from RGB port
8%
UHF output from modulator
4%
Something else.
No votes

Total votes: 24

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: Which video output do you use? Why?

Post by RWAP »

I use an old Vision QL monitor - but would rather have the space and a better solution. I also use UHF output to an old CRT TV for testing purposes (I can't get rid of the CRT TV for that reason).

I know there are RGB to SCART and the SCART upscalers, but they still struggle with 512x256 pixels and so limit use to the original TV mode.

I did wonder if something could be built to use the Raspberry Pi to create HDMI output and whether that would then be able to cope with 512x256, as well as a colour palette to let you re-colour existing QL software?

adev
ROM Dongle

Re: Which video output do you use? Why?

Post by adev »

I have 2 monitors - a VisionQL (currently gathering dust in storage), and a CUB which was specially designed for the QL (it's black....). Both via a standard RGB cable. The CUB is in remarkably good shape, barely audible whistle (although that might just be my aging ears becoming less susceptible to high frequencies). Can't remember what the Vision QL monitor is like, it's been so long since I used it.

A QL to HDMI converter would be very cool... I've got an old 32" 720p TV sitting here wasting space...