Discussion about connecting RASPI to QL

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Discussion about connecting RASPI to QL

Post by Pr0f »

What would be the end goal of connecting a Raspberry pi (zero ?) to the QL ?

I see several possibilities:

Wifi
Bluetooth
HDMI screen output
Numerous SPI / I2C / 1 Wire / UART interfaces and other GPIO
Storage device
Task Co processor

The main issue would appear to be who could write drivers for all that lot, and also, how would you interface it ?

Is this an opportunity to create something like the tube interface for the QL ?

I seem to remember years ago a Z80 CPM plug in card...

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Pr0f wrote: Wifi
Bluetooth
HDMI screen output
Numerous SPI / I2C / 1 Wire / UART interfaces and other GPIO
Storage device
Task Co processor
I don't know what "task coprocessor" actually means. Anyway, with so many functions, the QL would have to wait until ARM Linux has bootet, before it can work. Then why not software-emulate the little remaining rest of the QL on the RASPI? Just so you can still type on the black box? Then it's easier to develop a matrix keyboard to USB converter and your done.
Pr0f wrote:The main issue would appear to be who could write drivers for all that lot, and also, how would you interface it ?
I have not yet seen one of the very few remaining QL developers even interested in writing those drivers, let alone actually doing all the work.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

A task co processor would be something you can offload work to.

I didn't want to call it coprocessor, as that to me implies the much closer coupling in an FPU or MMU for instance, and the pi won't give you that.

It would be possible to give the pi a to do list and some data and let it get on with it though - hence task coprocessor.

Most of my experience of coding any sort of drivers is with z80 or pic based projects, but I am trying to get my head into the drivers and how they work on the QL - the technical guide and Norman's assembler notes are pretty good for starters.

Anyone wanting to do pi / QL interfacing may well be faced with writing stuff for both ends...

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Peter wrote:Then why not software-emulate the little remaining rest of the QL on the RASPI? Just so you can still type on the black box?
This was not a rhetorical question, I'm actually trying to understand the motivation. Using a software emulator on the RASPI would be so much easier, even better performance.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

So very true Peter - what does a pi give you that you can't get / do already...

If you got Bluetooth running on a QL - what would you use it for ?

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

The only thing I use bluetooth for, is the speakerphone in my car, so probably nothing on the QL.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

XorA wrote:
northernbob wrote:is none here monitoring how the next project is going? surely this has a influence on the future of the QL ?
Probably 1/4 of the forum are, and waiting to see whether Q68 or Next lands in their mailbox next week first! :-D
Just for the history records: The first cased Q68 arrived one or two days before the uncased Spectrum Next! :D

northernbob
ROM Dongle

Post by northernbob »

we ordered up some help with he copro, and found the beeb lads wee already investigating the board.

http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14181

if they can get a accelerated beeb core working, the princeples might come over to the z80 side.

there was a brief post at the weekend, that victor might be working on this again too. aftr hes bug fixeed the hdmi.

see if you can guess which case this is below)

northernbob
ROM Dongle

Post by northernbob »

pic..
Attachments
24862212_341205279679631_4221478767279349015_n.jpg