QL Network "wireless"

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

QL Network "wireless"

Post by Outsoft »

I would like to connect 2 QL via NET jack in wireless.

Like I do on my SER 2 with a bluetooth adapter that transmit serial signals to other bluetooth adapter and make a "wirelesse bridge".

I would like the same for the QL NET jack port.

Someone can help me? I see some bluetooth jack adapter but all need to be connected on a PC.

Thanks a lot.

martyn_hill
Aurora

Re: QL Network "wireless"

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Simon

That's an interesting idea that I have also had in the past.

Some points to consider:
a) There is no off-the-shelf hardware/adapter that would work completely on its own (you probably new that), though some simple devices exist which could be modified easily enough.
b) There is at least one aspect of the QNet protocol that does not lend itself to a wireless medium - namely the 'contention' check that is carried out during the 'SCOUT' phase of the standard transmission protocol. Not so critical, however.
c) Otherwise, it seems not too difficult to design an FM type modulator/demodulator that is keyed off the ACTIVE/INACTIVE output from the QNet port.
d) You could base the FM design assuming a nominal 100 KHz baseband signal (actually, more like 89 KHz - 11.2uS nominal pulse-width), so a few MHz for the carrier should suffice (like those radio-controlled toys).
e) EM Noise form the QL itself might prove challenging to overcome and might require pushing the carrier to 10s of MHz.

Good luck!

martyn_hill
Aurora

Re: QL Network "wireless"

Post by martyn_hill »

Hello again!

You got me interested again in such a wireless connection between the QL's QNet ports...

After more research, it appears to be more challenging than my basic RF electronics knowledge orginally suggested, with most 'simple' RF solutions working only up to 1200 or so bits-per-second/baud.

That said, I have found an IoT solution (of many) by Synapse (the RF220) that might do the trick, but would still need investigation.

They appear to have an Evaluation/development Kit - the 'EK2100' - for around 80 GBP that could form the basis of at least a point-to-point solution between two QLs.

Let us know how you get on!