Announcement - new QL Interface

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Re: Announcement - new QL Interface

Post by Outsoft »

tetroid wrote:It need some tests to avoid the problems.
Alain will check new versions of QUBATA.
Great!

Please advice me gently: 1 red and 1 black for me with all firmwares and upgrades (and If is possible with a Card pre formatted so I can make the tests immediatly).

I see that the previous version is affected in some bugs than was just discovered:

a) FLP2_ works but sometimes stops or blocks the machine (I don't know why)

b) RES_128 command of the TRUMP CARD works but seems don't give real 128k memory to the QL with the jumpers on the original state (J5,J4,J3), I suppose depends from the driver that you use for (QUBIDE?) that seems was in the ROM 16k address memory (I think so,I'm not sure).

c) When there isn't a Floppy insered in FLP1_ the autostart on MDV1_ won't work on boot (on the real Trump card works without FLP1_ inserted), If I insert a FLOPPY in DRIVE 1 the AUTOSTART on it works perfectly, only on MDV won't work.

it will be also good to put a new feature "AUTO ACTIVATE TK2" with a Jumper ;)

Best regards to all ;)

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

Looks very good, CF + FLP is a very good idea. Please tell us, when and how can we buy.

I will buy at least one card. How much FLP can the I/F address?

Thanks in advance!

HAOUI
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by HAOUI »

Hi Derek,

You can have several partititions open at one time provided there is enough memory to load FATs and still some extra memory for slave blocks. In this case, there is no eason to corrupt system memory at least with QubATA driver whatever the data volume to be copied (I used 2GBytes partitions on QubIDE+SGC system without problem with QubATA).

Size of FAT for each partition depends on the size of partition and the block size used for this partition (Refer to table in the QubATA manual).

On Tetroid per example, you can have easily 4 partitions loaded at the same time with 128MegaBytes each using 8 sectors per block (BSF=5 in WIN_FORMAT command) as each FAT will take 128KB in memory.

Also, keep in mind that backup softwares may corrupt memory when dealing with a big number of files but this is another story.

Regards,
Alain

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

HAOUI wrote:Hi Derek,

You can have several partititions open at one time provided there is enough memory to load FATs and still some extra memory for slave blocks. In this case, there is no eason to corrupt system memory at least with QubATA driver whatever the data volume to be copied (I used 2GBytes partitions on QubIDE+SGC system without problem with QubATA).

Size of FAT for each partition depends on the size of partition and the block size used for this partition (Refer to table in the QubATA manual).

On Tetroid per example, you can have easily 4 partitions loaded at the same time with 128MegaBytes each using 8 sectors per block (BSF=5 in WIN_FORMAT command) as each FAT will take 128KB in memory.

Also, keep in mind that backup softwares may corrupt memory when dealing with a big number of files but this is another story.

Regards,
Alain
Hi Alain,

I have looks at the WIN_DISK and WIN_FORMAT commands and looks very straight forward, compared the previous Qubide system.

I would not use a partition of over 512Mb, but I use a working size of 256Mb annything else seems a it would seem a waste of ram space, since most QL programmes and data can fit into less than 256Mb, but this is personal taste

Regards,

Derek
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
HAOUI wrote:Hi Derek,

Regards,
Alain
Hi Alain,

I have looks at the WIN_DISK and WIN_FORMAT commands and looks very straight forward, compared the previous Qubide system.

I would not use a partition of over 512Mb, but I use a working size of 256Mb annything else seems a it would seem a waste of ram space, since most QL programmes and data can fit into less than 256Mb, but this is personal taste
These commands are just implemented in the first release of this interface / firmware?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Outsoft wrote: These commands are just implemented in the first release of this interface / firmware?
You have to update the Altera Firmware and EEPROM.

See my message: http://qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2& ... =90#p16331

If you can not do this, I perform the necessary programming, send me a PM or email for costs.

Regards,

Derek
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
Outsoft wrote: These commands are just implemented in the first release of this interface / firmware?
You have to update the Altera Firmware and EEPROM.

See my message: http://qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2& ... =90#p16331

If you can not do this, I perform the necessary programming, send me a PM or email for costs.
Exactly what I was thinking for ;)

Thanks

georgeo
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by georgeo »

Hi everyone,

I can also test Tetroid's interface with several partitions on the CF card. I'll take a look at the relevant commands and let people know how I get on.

Speak to you soon,
George.

HAOUI
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by HAOUI »

I personally use 64/128/256 Kbytes with 4 or 8 sectors per block for work partitions and big partitions 512 or 1024 Kbytes with 32 or 64 sectors per block only for backup and storing big files loaded punctually.
Partitions with 128 kb/8 sec is a good compromise in general, with a small first partition of 64 kb to permit preservation of ram when needed.
Alain

Doug
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Doug »

Just adding my voice to those interested in buying when this is ready, sounds great. :)