New Membrane Malfunction

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Cristian
Aurora

Re: New Membrane Malfunction

Post by Cristian »

Rich and Dave,
thanks to your hints now my keyboard seems OK :-)
To be accurate, the little holes in the membrane seem not precisely centered with the little plastic pivots, so the membrane looks slightly grooved. But apparently this don't affect the good keyboard function. I suppose this is due to the metallic plate that flattens the membrane and correct the little grooves

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Glad that between us we got you sorted, one way or another.

Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

miked

Just a thought, as a quick check that the 8049 is actually up and running (maybe faulty 11MHz crystal?) do you hear a click from the speaker when you press RESET button. Since it is driven from output pin of 8049, if it is dead it shouldn't click.

If OK, are 8049 keyboard outputs strobing? (any pin on J11 connector)

The next best test would be using a Minerva ROM to see if, after it times out F1/F2 prompt, it displays normal windows and flashing cursor.

David
kordics
ROM Dongle

Post by kordics »

I have finally found what was the problem with my QL and maybe it can help some other members of the forum!

I have replaced faulty Intel 8049 coprocessor & old keyboard membrane with a new one. After changes, I could reach F1/F2 screen and then nothing more, since keyboard/membrane was completely unresponsive. I thought that it was something wrong with either membrane or some of the two molex connectors.

Yesterday evening I had a time and I removed and re-seated all socked chips, except 8049, but that didn't help. Finally, I re-seated 8049 and my QL was again operable, just as it was in 1985 when I bought it! So, the cause of the problem was bad re-seating of 8049!

Now, I couldn't be more happier! After not managing to fix my original QL, I bought another one from UK. That means the I have 2 operable machines. QL networking here I come…

Saluti,
Stevan

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Well done :D

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

kordics wrote:That means the I have 2 operable machines. QL networking here I come…
:-)