Microdrive Motor Adjustment

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
tcat
Super Gold Card

Re: Microdrive Motor Adjustment

Post by tcat »

Hi Tobias,

Thank you for the ebay tips, perhaps MD heads are not that common after all, or were common only in the UK. QL MD head has three coils (2x read, 1x erase), while audio device heads have typically two coils and erase coil is then found in an erase head mounted separately.

So I am just thinking, what kind of audio devices from the 80's used same type of heads as those found in QL MDs.

Perhaps I might be also wrong and Sinclair had specific build to order heads?

Tomas

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

tcat wrote: Perhaps I might be also wrong and Sinclair had specific build to order heads?

Tomas
Tomas,

I'd really be astonished if Sinclair would have used specific heads for the MDs. This would absolutely not fit with their normal "design for cheap components" attitude. The Service manual says:
7.3.2 Data is recorded on two tracks using a standard stereo cassette head arrangement and is written in bytes, one byte to one track and the next byte to the other track.
(Id does, unfortunately also say that the heads are the only parts of a Microdrive that are not replacable. (My guess is they were mounted in the factory using a special jig to get the alignment right that wouldn't be easy to reproduce).

So I'd assume that also means "standard stereo cassette heads". MC cassette drives did use two-track heads for stereo record and play as well as single-track heads for erase.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

tofro wrote:
I'd really be astonished if Sinclair would have used specific heads for the MDs. This would absolutely not fit with their normal "design for cheap components" attitude. The Service manual says:
7.3.2 Data is recorded on two tracks using a standard stereo cassette head arrangement and is written in bytes, one byte to one track and the next byte to the other track.
(Id does, unfortunately also say that the heads are the only parts of a Microdrive that are not replacable. (My guess is they were mounted in the factory using a special jig to get the alignment right that wouldn't be easy to reproduce).

So I'd assume that also means "standard stereo cassette heads". MC cassette drives did use two-track heads for stereo record and play as well as single-track heads for erase.
MC tapes are much wider than MD tapes, I guess about twice as wide. Also, MC cassettes have an A and B side since the sound track occupies only half of the tape width (with stereo, you have 4 tracks).
If you look at the heads of the MD drive, you see that they have tape guides on both sides, while ordinary cassette heads have guides on only one side. This is so that azimuth may be adjusted, which won't be possible with guides on both sides. I guess MD heads don't need azimuth adjustments as the signal recorded is digital and flat frequency response is not an issue as long as the 0s and 1s are discernible.
So the MD heads are certainly not standard MC heads, though the track width may be the same as MC tapes (you can record twice as much on two tracks, though with analog signals you run into crosstalk issues).

later, Jan.

Bloodnok
vDriveQL

Post by Bloodnok »

In response to request in a previous post - here's a higher resolution image of the microdrive motor adjustment jig....
Motor adjustment jig
Motor adjustment jig
Charles

tcat
Super Gold Card

Post by tcat »

Hi,

Thanks to All, I am making some progress with MD units. Here is almost complete MD disassembly of an old unit, that was not performing well. All it's components functional providing spares to other units to fix here.

I was surprised to see two `head springs' while I thought only one is needed?
an hour's work with soldering iron and suction pump
an hour's work with soldering iron and suction pump

Tomas
Last edited by tcat on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Tomas,

Looks like you have done alot of work there.

With regards to the Motor Alignment Jig, how does that work, as the QL Service Manual does not indicate how the jig should be used.

The motor seems to secured on the microdrive mounting in countersunk screw locations, fixing the motor positions. Is the jig to locate the position of the motor securing location holes.

Regards,

Derek
tcat
Super Gold Card

Post by tcat »

Hi Derek,

I am not too confident of my findings yet, just having the idea that `jig' fixes the right angular distance between motor axle and the R/W head face. This dimension is most sensitive to get cartridge white roller properly engaged by the motor rubber roller.

EDIT
I guess precision of some (0.1 .. 0.2 mm), will not be guaranteed just by counter sunk screws, only if there were position fixing `pegs' right on the motor chassis, similar to ones found on the `jig' itself, but that would be more costly. It should be also noted, that motor and jig fixing holes are placed at an angle, possibly for this purpose.

Not sure I am close but I will try to draw an illustrative chart.

Tomas
Last edited by tcat on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

tcat wrote: QL-MD_unit_disassembly.JPG
Tomas, this image is simply spectacular :D

tcat
Super Gold Card

Post by tcat »

Hi,

On Microdrive headboard two electrolytic capacitors are found. These seem very solid ITT make, could they dry up in years, if so what values you would recommend for replacement?
Headboard assembly with elyt capacitors
Headboard assembly with elyt capacitors
The Service Manual gives these values:
C9/C10 - 0.47uF / 35V
C11/C12 - 0.22uF / 35V

They seem smoothing capacitors around 7805 / 5V regulator, but polarity is strangely given as LT-FT, BK-FT. Left-Front? Back-Front?

EDIT 18-Jan'17
Another thought, the cap values are small and seem replaceable with ceramics. I wonder why ceramics was not fitted in prime production, back in the days?

Tomas

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Labeled like caps or resistors, packaged like diodes, screenprint on one says cap, soooo I'm going to sit on the fence!