QL on MIST FPGA board

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
thorsinclair
Trump Card

Re: QL on MIST FPGA board

Post by thorsinclair »

Hi Urs,

nice video and the machine works really well. With the SD driver it makes real sense. It would be great if (S)GC Card and high resolution graphic modes could be implemented. Seen that it has taken only a week to get the QL core going this should be possible ...?

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

thorsinclair wrote: nice video and the machine works really well. With the SD driver it makes real sense. It would be great if (S)GC Card and high resolution graphic modes could be implemented. Seen that it has taken only a week to get the QL core going this should be possible ...?
Well volunteered :-D

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

QLvsJAGUAR wrote:Last weekend I had the chance to try out the FPGA based computer MIST at the EJAGFEST 2015. After downloading the QL core I’ve explored quite a bit of it. See my results in this video:
https://youtu.be/1VfFaG_XesU
Just awesome this MIST, I will definitely buy one!
QL forever and Jag rules!
Urs
Thank you Urs, I enjoyed watching that.

I'm sure the MIST system will prove very popular.

thorsinclair
Trump Card

Post by thorsinclair »

Well volunteered :-D
I'm the wrong guy for doing kind of that stuff, but there is enough competence in the community ...

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Ciao,
I just received my Mist devices..... I am astonished positively by the quality, in a minute I was able to start QL using my wireless keyboard and LCD display , all works well and I think it is a good investment I did. I am playing around with the device loading the usual extension and everything is fine. Created and Loaded 256 MB of SD QL data and everything is fine.
I really think that for the hardware fans of QL this is a must, it is a really good alternative to the emulators.
...........now we have to convince MR. MIST (Till) to enhance it to support SMSQ/E...how ?
- emulating Gold Card to have a similar platform to QL+(S)Gold Cars to load SMSQE
- better situation will be to emulate Qx0 if ever possible
I saw Peter Graf partecipate to this , at least to support QL-SD, any opinion?
I had a look at the sources of Mist core for QL, after 2 days I did not even realise how to start :( , i think it is far too difficult for my poor mind and capacity :D
Fabrizio

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The problem with SMSQ/E on a QL, is that it needs a Gold/Super Gold Card.

On startup the SMSQ/E code is copied to the GC/SGC memory that shadows the QL Ram.

I suppoe to get SMSQ/E to run on a 640K or 768K QL then the startup routine could be altered so that it does not copy to the shadow ram, but use the QL ram. But QEMulator can load SMSQ/E and run it OK.

Once this is done, it would run on the MIST FPGA core.

Regards,

Derek
Luk
ROM Dongle

Post by Luk »

bixio60 wrote:Ciao,
I just received my Mist devices..... I am astonished positively by the quality, in a minute I was able to start QL using my wireless keyboard and LCD display , all works well and I think it is a good investment I did. I am playing around with the device loading the usual extension and everything is fine. Created and Loaded 256 MB of SD QL data and everything is fine.
Does this mean you can use the SD file (BDI_bin) to transfer files from PC (through Q-emulator) to Mist? And just by swapping the SD-card from one device to the other? Or is this to simple :?:

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Luk wrote: Does this mean you can use the SD file (BDI_bin) to transfer files from PC (through Q-emulator) to Mist? And just by swapping the SD-card from one device to the other? Or is this to simple :?:
Yep, this is exactly how it works.
The other way to get files onto the MiST would be using Microdrive imagery, which is way more tedious.

Regards,
Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Yes, it is fairly simple : load the SD driver in Qemulator then you have available sdc1_, link the qxl or the directory where you have files and then copy them to sdc1_, move back the SD from the pc to the mist et voila' it is done. I created at the moment a 48MB BDI_bin and loaded everything in it, it works. It is nice to have a device that in a second load the Minerva os and that you can use (Finally!!) with a proper wireless keyboard and LCD monitor. My original QL use LCD monitor via EGA/VGA scart converter and the sharpness of the video is not ideal moreover the original keyboard is ...what it is .

Does someone how to contact Till ? just to check if any enhancement could be implemented to load smsq/e . Basic QL is there but to attract more users we need smsq/e

Regards

Fabrizio
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Does this mean you can use the SD file (BDI_bin) to transfer files from PC (through Q-emulator) to Mist? And just by swapping the SD-card from one device to the other? Or is this to simple :?:[/quote]

Luk
ROM Dongle

Post by Luk »

This indeed sounds great. I guess this more or less declares the QLSD BDI_bin file as a standard to exchange QL progs and files.