PSU alternative?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Cristian
Gold Card

Re: PSU alternative?

Postby Cristian » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Thank you Martin for your explanation. Learning something is always important for me.

Martin_Head
Trump Card

Postby Martin_Head » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:56 am

I was looking at the circuit diagrams of the +/- 12 volt supply on the QL and the PSU trying to figure out how they work.

The PSU circuit states that it's a 16v AC winding on the transformer.

On the QL circuit the +/- 12 volt regulators use the 9 volt DC line as a ground/reference?

You can get plus 16 volt, or minus 16 volt from an 16 volt AC winding, but how do you get both? Unless the two diodes by the +/- 12 volt regulators on the QL are some kind of a voltage doubler. (Which I've never really figured out how they work)

But then I would expect the +/- 12 volt rails to be referenced to the 9 volt rail. i.e. +21 and -3 volts.

tofro
QL Wafer Drive

Postby tofro » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:17 pm

Setting the ground reference of the +/- 12 V lines to the +9V line looks weird, at first, but you need to look into the PSU in order to understand it.

Sinclair has simply saved on one strand of wire, the 14VAC ground. Most probably, the complete transformer is one continuous winding, the input to the secondary coil being GND, the next pickup point the AC for 9V and the last the ~12V. The difference in potential for 14VAC is thus between the +9V and the ~12V output. The AC between GND and VAC is probably much higher that 14V, as it is the AC produced by both secondary transformer coils.

The diodes are there to let the positive sine wave pass into the 7812, the negative sine wave to the 7912.

I guess the whole circuit would make more sense when the PSU circuitry is included in the drawing.

Tobias

Silvester
Trump Card

Postby Silvester » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:29 pm

Martin_Head wrote:On the QL circuit the +/- 12 volt regulators use the 9 volt DC line as a ground/reference?

It's an error in the original service manual circuit, it is 0V. I checked PCB when doing PDF version.

Martin_Head
Trump Card

Postby Martin_Head » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:14 am

The PSU http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/hardware/QLperip.zip shows the 16 AC as a separate winding with one end connected to the 0v (GND) line.

If as Silverter says, there is an error in the service manual circuit, So that the + and - 12 volt circuit would make sense. Then the AC signal arriving at the QL would have to swing between about + and - 16 volts. ie. about 32 volts peak to peak around ground.

Thinking about it a bit more, it does makes sense. The 16 volt AC, if measured with a multi meter, would be 16 volts. The meter would half, or full wave rectify the AC signal, so you would only 'see' the upper, or lower half of the AC signal. Whereas if you looked at it with an Oscilloscope, you would see that the signal actually went from +16v to -16v.

So both are correct, The PSU supplies 16v AC, and the QL receives the quoted 44v peak to peak.

Pr0f
ROM Dongle

Postby Pr0f » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:45 am

This is just half wave rectification, Sinclair being cheap again ;-) The current requirements for the +12 and -12v are so light, they can get away with this, and the ripple is easily dealt with by the regulator..

Return to “Hardware”