Microdrive Unit Design

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
RWAP
RWAP Master

Microdrive Unit Design

Post by RWAP »

I had a bit of a sort through my microdrive units yesterday and have just been getting another QL up and running.

I decided to use some of the non-keyed microdrive units (ie. they have straight edges, not the jigsaw pieces which seem to appear on most units).

Having gone through several drives to get two working units, I was pleasantly surprised.

FORMAT mdv1_

produces up to 231/233 sectors

Compare that to the other microdrive units, which tend to return 218/222 sectors as a maximum.

mdv2_ gives slightly lower results, but it does appear that there is a difference between the keyed and non-keyed units.

I wonder which were the earlier ones?

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Re: Microdrive Unit Design

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Pics?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

First the more common (at least in Europe) microdrive unit with the two keys on the edge:
Attachments
100_2974.JPG
100_2975.JPG
100_2976.JPG
100_2977.JPG

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Now the less common microdrive unit with straight edges - note the extra red wire on the PCB - I have seen the one in a plastic sleeve on some of the units with 2 keys...
Attachments
100_2972.JPG
100_2969.JPG
100_2970.JPG
100_2968.JPG
Last edited by RWAP on Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Finally the very rare unit with just one keying piece - I actually have two of these, so will have to try them in a QL some time... (the keying piece is bigger than the one with 2 keys)
Attachments
100_2973.JPG
100_2967.JPG
100_2971.JPG
100_2966.JPG

Tom Phobos
ROM Dongle

Post by Tom Phobos »

Nice :) I'll check out what type of drives are built into my german QL. Actually i only formatted one cart in the drive. It was empty, the first formatting attempts returned "format error". After a successful format it now has 202 sectors.

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

RWAP wrote:Having gone through several drives to get two working units, I was pleasantly surprised.

FORMAT mdv1_

produces up to 231/233 sectors

Compare that to the other microdrive units, which tend to return 218/222 sectors as a maximum.
When I once built my (long non-existent) "QL-T", a non-PC desktop case with one mdv, I came across, that putting an diode in the drive_select lets you use one mdv for both 1 and 2.

And....making the motor a bit faster (I think there was a potentiometer on the PCB) gives more sectors. So I think, one of your mdv is running a bit faster than the other. I was able to get 235 sectors, but had not used this speed.

chriskgnr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by chriskgnr »

where on the pcb is that potentiometer?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Ralf R. wrote:
And....making the motor a bit faster (I think there was a potentiometer on the PCB) gives more sectors. So I think, one of your mdv is running a bit faster than the other. I was able to get 235 sectors, but had not used this speed.
Yes I guess that for some reason, the microdrive units with straight edges run at a different speed - although they can still read/write cartridges formatted on the ones with the keyed edges.

I have tried two microdrive units with the straight edges and both give this higher number of sectors.

I have a feeling that these were used in the early QLs but then maybe for reliability, they slowed down the motor and used the keyed system to identify the newer version?

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Ralf R. wrote:
And....making the motor a bit faster (I think there was a potentiometer on the PCB) gives more sectors.
This looks illogical for me. If the tape is faster the sectors should be larger, am I wrong?